Search Unity

EditorPaint : 2D & 3D Texturing Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by prizedgoat, Jan 30, 2018.

1. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

EditorPaint is now available in the Asset Store!
    Documentation: https://connect.unity.com/p/editorpaint-documentation

Due to issues with inconsistent Compute Shader features/stability, we can not actively support Mac and Linux use. We are happy to try to work out any issues you may find, but we cant guarantee the compatibility of the tool the same way we can for Windows. We apologize for this and hope we can endorse those platforms once Compute Shaders + Unity are more stable on them.

What is it?
    EditorPaint is a 2D & 3D Texturing Tool for use inside of the Unity3D editor. EditorPaint allows users to quickly edit textures in 2D, paint in 3D using advanced brush projection tech, bake advanced raytraced simulations like Ambient Occlusion, and much more.

Who did we build it for?
    Everyone! …Ok, another way to say it is EditorPaint has features which can benefit both novice users and experienced users.

* Users who want integrated access to advanced features like AO baking and 3D painting, or want to quickly edit a 2D texture for improved quality and production speed.
    * Users who may not know how to use the bigger software packages but still need a quick and powerful solution for custom 2D&3D texturing or Baking.
    * Users who can't afford to pay big software prices but still want big software features.

Why'd we make EditorPaint?
    We found while working in Unity there were many times we wanted to quickly edit a texture, invert an alpha channel, or bake an AO for a mesh from the Asset Store. This almost always requires switching to a separate application which can be cumbersome and often takes longer than necessary. Often the rendering style or lighting wasn’t consistent in other software with our scene, so the textures never looked the same causing us to edit them multiple times. This changes depending on the type of work that needs to be done, but for a lot of edits we wished we could just do them inside of Unity in a powerful and high quality way.

We also found multiple other features we wanted to simplify and make easier to use, take Ambient Occlusion for example. Without EditorPaint, to bake an Ambient Occlusion texture you'd have to: 1- use another piece of software, 2- import your object, 3- possibly create a "cage" object, 4- setup the object for baking, 5- bake the object, and then 6- import the texture back into Unity. In reality, this can be much simpler with a quicker turnaround time. So we built what we wanted, a GPU accelerated raytrace Ambient Occlusion texture generator! (simple right ;) ) it also works with multiple objects at one time, so you can setup your scene (for example: a table with a lamp on it, or a mailbox on a sidewalk) and then bake an AO with the objects in context to each other.

Gifs!
    2D editing
    https://i.imgur.com/vkZ0HoI.gif

3D painting
    https://i.imgur.com/NFVPiW5.gif
    EditorPaint-Screen03.jpg

Ambient Occlusion bake
    https://i.imgur.com/nTAkuzv.gif

3D Mesh Painting:
    - Easy mesh painting - Paint directly on meshes or prefabs in the EditorPaint window with no special mesh setup.
    - Uses your Scene lighting - Paint textures while seeing them lit by your Scene lighting and Scene reflections so you know exactly how they will look.
    - Multiple meshes together - Paint in the context of each object's position in the scene or prefab.
    - Advanced painting tech - DynamicUV is our custom 3D painting tech that allows consistent world brush size regardless of UV layout, distortion, or scale while painting on a Mesh.
    - Custom Shader support - Supports using any Shader file in your project that has a 2D texture slot. Preview your work using YOUR shaders, not just the Standard shader!
    - Animated Materials - See your painting results live while your material updates with every brush stroke you take. See Flow maps animate water and Sci-fi materials glow, all while you paint!
    - 3D Simulations - Bake without needing external tools. Bake Ambient Occlusion, Mesh Thickness, Emissive Light, Voronoi, 3D noise, Directional gradients, Positional Gradients, 3D grids, and more.

2D Texture Painting:
    - Uncompressed Imports - EditorPaint loads textures fully uncompressed from disc instead of the Unity compressed runtime data. (no generation loss!)
    - Large Texture support - Paint in the 2D window on textures as large as 8k x 8k in our highly optimized pipeline.
    - Create Normal Maps – Generate/Modify normal maps for your objects using the Normal Map Action, or paint your own.
    - Image Actions - Adjust levels, hue, saturation, invert colors/alpha; apply blur, 2D noise, color gradients, channel effects; and bleed colors outside of UV space, rotate, scale, tile, etc.
    - Particle System Support – Import your particle systems and paint on their 2d textures while you see them simulate.
    - Create Custom Actions – Create your own Texture Shader Actions you can use in the EditorPaint window, then share them with your team or the community!

Editor Features:
    - No messy scripts in your scene! - Everything works from within the EditorPaint window. Meshes and textures can simply be dragged in from the Scene or the Project window.
    - Linear & Gamma - Full support for both Linear and Gamma render pipelines.
    - Custom Brushes - Paint with your own Brush Textures or use the built in procedural brush settings.
    - Layers - Use an unlimited number of Layers to organize your work or to create powerful effects.
    - Multi-material - Support for objects with multiple material slots on a single mesh.
    - Quick texture actions - Use the Project window right-click menus to invert color, invert alpha, rotate, or flip textures .
    - Flow map brush - The Flow map brush allows you to paint Vector maps for Flow map and Combed normal map materials.
    - No Generation loss - We natively access your textures to edit and save preventing generation loss caused by accessing Unity runtime compressed textures.
    - Resize Textures - Fully customizable Canvas resolution and Layer resolution, per object, per layer type.
    - Texture Formats - Save textures with or without alpha channels, as png, tga, gif, jpg, bmp, tif, gif.
    - Blend modes - Brushes and Layers both support multiple blend modes. (normal, additive, multiply, overlay, and screen)
    - Save your progress - Save/load paint projects with full layer information to continue your work later.
    - Undo/Redo - Easily fix mistakes or iterate on designs.
    - View modes - Lit & Unlit shading, 2D UV overlay, 2D grid, and sky dome toggle.
    - Full channel support - Paint RGB or Alpha channels.
    - Optimized to work great on both fast and slow computers.

What are we planning for the future?
    We have a list of improvements and features we plan to do next, some of which are:
    - Address feedback from the community.
    - UX and UI polish to continue improving the editor and add new features.
    - Additional Simulation layer types and improvements to existing types.
    - Additional paintbrush features and improvements.
    - Add pixel art specific features and improvements.
    - Custom save dialog to support planned new features.
    - Add support for HDR colors and additional texture save formats.

Have feedback?
    We'd love to get feedback about features you'd like to see, or any other thoughts about the tool. Send them our way at prizedgoat.unity @ outlook.com.

Videos links!
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Transparency & Alpha Channels
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Ambient Occlusion
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Using Photos
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - 2D Paint Window
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Brush Projection Mode
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Texture Brushes
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Blend Modes
    EditorPaint for Unity3D - Height Maps

Thanks for reading and watching!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Mark_01, Pheck and Flurgle like this.
  2. Flurgle

Flurgle

This looks awesome!

prizedgoat likes this.
  3. sicga123

sicga123

Definitely buy this at the end of next week. Looks really great. I prefer to do everything within Unity, just cannot be bothered having to open more and more programs to make a game.

prizedgoat likes this.
  4. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Version 0.5.1 was approved adding support for additional image formats (png, tga, gif, jpg, bmp, tif, gif) to both import and save.

5. topureza

topureza

Just purchased this. Feels Good so far!

one question - can we save brush presets?

6. topureza

topureza

another feature request is - layer mask.

Flurgle likes this.
  7. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Hi topureza,
    Thanks for the feedback and support!

Currently we are finishing work on custom shaders (70% complete) and two other improvements; i had already wanted some brush improvements to also make it into that update, i will see if a reasonable change can empower brush presets for you. The back end is already designed with the idea of them, but i haven't looked into the idea recently to know if i we could easily make it happen.

Layer masks are a planned feature, but not currently on the top of the list, your vote is noted though. I want to make a change which will improve memory consumption before adding to our memory overhead. Once the memory consumption update is in, it will be much more reasonable to add memory hungry features like layer masks. ;)
    I will keep it in mind though in case we think of a way to empower it sooner.

Looking forward to reading your feedback about the next update once it has been submitted!

8. topureza

topureza

Thank you guys for considering the feature requests! Please keep up the good work helping small studios (like us) to save precious development time by avoiding back & forth between unity & substance painter (or quixel)

I think another important & priority feature is to support multi material. currently only the first material of a object is picked.

another future feature would be to select UV channel of the object for texture painting. Currently only uv0 is picked.

9. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@topureza
    Hehe, one of the two "improvements" i alluded to above is multi material support.

On the uv channel selection... i agree with the want and why its useful, but havnt thought of a good integration yet. We want to make sure we dont deep dive into fiddly controls everwhere, so we are still working over that one in our head.
    For example, i need a good resolve for painting across multiple objects with different uv channel count/settings without a crazy gui.

Currently a higher priority are features like texture projections in the 3d window (stickers etc) and better input for texture manipulation in the 2d window. So i dont have an eta for multiple uv channels yet.

topureza likes this.
  10. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Hi Everyone,

We just released a big update with HUGE new features!
    Here is a list of what we just added, let us know what you think and we will integrate your feedback as we keep working.

v 0.8
    [New Features]
    -Custom shader support added! Any *.shader file in Unity that has a 2D texture slot is now supported for painting on.
    -Added Flow Brush type for painting Vector type Flow maps/Combed normal maps.
    -Added Material Animation button to the 3D window for previewing material values that change over time (Caution, may have performance impact on painting depending on your setup).
    -Added support for multiple materials per object.
    -Added Material settings interface GUI for Color, Float, and Vector types to all imported objects.
    -Added Mesh Thickness simulation layer type.
    -Improved Ambient Occlusion simulation logic.
    -Added normal map support to the Directional Gradient simulation layer.
    -Added Distort texture action to 2D Action menu.
    -Added Color Grading texture action to 2D Action menu.
    -User settings improvements.
    -Added new Project settings values for controlling how project creation is handled.
    -Added multiple Brush Texture example files.
    -Added Merge Layer Down feature to the New Layer menu.
    [Bug fixes]
    -Misc bug fixs across the GUI code and architecture code.
    -Tiling texture bug fix. (full tiling texture support coming soon)
    -Memory allocation cleanup and improvements.
    -Performance improvements in various features.
    -Improved texture import handling and fail case reporting.
    -Fixed project save default location to be relevant to previous save locations and names.

11. clagrens

clagrens

I try to change the brush texture ,but some time it can,some time no.

version 2017.2.2

12. clagrens

clagrens

:(:(I save the texture finnished,but unity crash when saving...

13. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Hi clagrens,
    Can you provide any more info for whats causing yor issue. We are not seeing any issues and dont have any other reports of save issues.
    What version of unity?
    What OS? Mac/win/linux?
    What file format are you saving as?
    Any special steps you are taking?
    If unity is crashing, it will have a log file. Can you email that or post it, that might tell us if its related to something else.

Thanks

14. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

What are you trying to do which isnt working for you, can you privide details to help us understand.
    Drag and drop will try to create a new object or layer. (We are changing that soon). Try the browser method if thats your issue.
    Is the texture not working as you expect? Or are you unable to use the texture you want?
    If you want to set your own texture as the brush, i recomment clicking on the icon wich opens a file menu to select a new texture.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  15. clagrens

clagrens

:)
    ”If you want to set your own texture as the brush, i recomment clicking on the icon wich opens a file menu to select a new texture.“

Works Today!

I don't know what happened yesterday.But It work now (need to select my texture twice).
    Save texture is work too. Maybe the reason is Generating a big resolution(8192)

Thanks for your help!

:):);)

16. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@clagrens
    Glad it worked for you. If you think you see any other issues, please pass them our way and we will do what we can to fix them quickly. We are still working on improvements, so also look for updates in the store.

17. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

18. Altair12121

Altair12121

The 3d paint and the AO works with the terrain?

19. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Sorry, terrain is not currently supported. But any mesh is, if you know how to get the mesh out of a terrain and if you know it has clean UVs (zero to one uv space etc), then it would work.
    All EditorPaint features are per pixel not per vertex, most terrain systems are only per vertex so we havnt targeted terrain support yet.

20. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

v0.9 Update is now live on the store!

We added Emissive Light Simulation, Voronoi Simulation, Particle System importing, perf improvements to DynamicUV and Simulations, a full Unity 2018 support pass!

Here are the build notes:
    v 0.9
    [New Features]
    -Added support for importing Particle Systems. (Not all particle system features are supported yet. Particles can not be painted on in 3d, but their textures can be painted on in 2d while previewing thier simulation.)
    -Added Emissive Light simulation type. This allows users to bake 'emissive' light onto their objects based on a user selectable input layer type.
    -Added Voronoi simulation type with multiple output types for both 3D and 2D variants.
    -Added circular gradient feature to the gradient texture action.
    -Added Preview Original Material to the Objects interface. This is useful when you have imported an object but your Editor Paint Project Shader doesnt match and you want to see the original material for reference.
    [Improvements]
    -Forced alpha compositing to output greyscale instead of color. This correctly reflects what will be saved to disc and helps users have less confusion about what channel type they are painting into.
    -Highly improved simulation render times in most cases.
    -Simulations are more stable on lower end computers because of a new perf testing system which runs before a simulation is run.
    -Improved the Objects gui and Global Layers gui size to better share screen space.
    -Simplified the Texture Resolution gui to only show one resolution option instead of the Layer resolution and Composite resolution.
    -10x to 20x DynamicUV perf improvement when painting on very heavy meshes.
    -Adjusted the Global Layers 'New' button and added the Global Layers 'Edit' button to help create clarity for users.
    -Performance improvements across various features.
    -Memory improvements across various features.
    -WorldSpaceGrid visual quality improvements.
    [Bug fixes]
    -Fixed _glossmapscale import values bug so we now handle the various forms of texture or no texture values that Unity looks for in the Standard shader.
    -Color picker bug fixs.
    -Bug fixs to the 2d paint window when removing and adding layers.
    -Fixed bug where AO and Thickness simulations would not work on some gpus.
    -Unity 2018 related bug fixs.
    -Fixed gamma issues for some preview textures while running in linear project mode.
    -Various bug fixs across architecture, gui and simulations.

21. Gabrio

Gabrio

Hi, I'm very interested in your tool.
    About Ambient Occlusion, after the simulation may I save the result and create a prefab with the model and the lightmap created and use it in different scenes and projects?
    How can I apply that rendered texture on my material?
    Thanks

22. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Hi Gabrio,

The Ambient Occlusion results and any other results you see can be saved to disc as a texture. That texture can then be used in your project however you want; in a material, on an object, its up to you. Its just like generating/painting a texture in any other software normally done outside of unity... but in unity and in your project! ;)

Once you have created your final result in the EditorPaint window, it can be saved in the texture format of your choice. We currently support png, tga, gif, jpg, bmp, tif, gif. Just type the extension you want and it will save in that format. For texture formats that support alpha channels, you can save with or without an alpha.

Hope that answers your question

23. Gabrio

Gabrio

Yes, thanks, this evening I'll buy it and try it.
    Good work

24. m_sigepon

m_sigepon

http://tips.hecomi.com/entry/2017/06/11/144246
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pressure-wacom-plugin-for-unity-version-1-2-demo-available.202068/
    I am interested in this asset.
    In this article, it is written about the method of acquiring pen pressure of the pen tablet in the article.
    I want you to correspond to pen pressure.
    I would like to purchase it if it corresponds to writing pressure.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/psd-layer-exporter-20716
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/psd-to-ugui-parser-20970
    Also, I want PSD file to be handled in dealing with layers.
    Otherwise it will be an irreversible file.
    There are various assets handling PSD

https://blog-imgs-44-origin.fc2.com/d/a/r/daredemopc/pse_colorcircle.jpg
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/color-selector-33516
    I want the color to correspond to such color circle.
    It is very redundant to open a window that specifies colors each time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  25. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Hi m_sigepon,

We are also interested in pen pressure, the link you provide is in japanese, so we will need to look over it for a while to better understand if its applicable. :)
    Thanks for the links! Hopefully they are useful in enough hardware situations.
    One of the core issues if finding a solution that works with all of the pen systems available and not just one.

As for PSD, its not a format we currently support. To make sure image data is always processed correctly, we dont use the built in unity save/load methods. The image save/load library we use doesnt support saving psd, so thats not currently an option for us. We would also need to look into if that format is a licensed format or if adobe allows anyone to use it without a license.
    In general, PSD is not a format used in 3D pipelines due to its size (a single psd can quickly become 500+ megs) and issues reading layer blending correctly, your the first user i have heard of requesting it be added. hehe

I am not sure I follow on your third item. Your first link doesnt work and your second is just a asset store color picker asset. It says the page can not be shown...
    We use the built in Unity Color Picker to ensure as much compatibility across editor versions as possible. We do use a custom color picker brush though, this lets us achieve higher quality screen based color picking within the EditorPaint window.
    If I understand what you want though... : we will look into adding an alternate color panel in the future. The picker brush can be accessed from a keyboard hotkey, until then, you could have a color wheel in your setup which you color picker from. not ideal, but it would work.
    One disadvantage to a color wheel on screen is we would need to think of a way to still allow primary and secondary colors to be saved. I will think it over some. Photoshop does it with separate window panes, but we dont typically have as much real-estate on screen due to unity windows still being visible. maybe a context window would work for it...hmmm
    Good idea though.

- PG

26. m_sigepon

m_sigepon

Thank you for your response.
    PSD is used as temporary file.
    Texture data may be edited in Photoshop etc. For that reason, even if editing on Unity, I want you to correspond so that it can be saved in a format that can cooperate while keeping layers with other software.
    Many libraries that handle PSD can be seen.
    Please confirm the license.

https://github.com/psd-tools/psd-tools
    http://wazalabo.com/psd-library.html
    https://qiita.com/shimacpyon/items/18f8489f216bb9189e9d
    https://www.molecular-matters.com/products_psd_sdk.html

About color circle I love the color picker of free color circle below in Photoshop.
    http://www.sousakuba.com/photoshop/color-circle-plugin.html
    https://www.clip-studio.com/site/gd...color_plt/540_color_category_plt_function.htm

In recent paint software, color picker system such as color circle or color wheel is mainstream.
    I am glad if you support me.

I purchased it because I want to support this asset.
    good luck.
    buy.jpg

txh.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  27. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

thanks for the support!
    We are looking into the pen pressure info you linked to see if it will work for us.
    I have am working on a color wheel option that works how you prefer.
    We have some new updates which we have not submitted to the store yet. (triplanar project is one of them ;) )

I hope we can complete the features soon and improve the tool for you.

28. m_sigepon

m_sigepon

Thank you for thinking about correspondence!
    I hope the writing pressure of the pen goes well.
    We will support your activities.

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

30. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi, quick question. Does EditorPaint work with SkinMesh?

31. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@Lars-Steenhoff, thanks for the link. We are looking into pen pressure, we just want to make sure its right and not for just one hardware type. :) i have interacted with a fair share of poor pen input systems and am trying to avoid common pit falls.
    Appreciate you sharing the info!

@Aaron2348, yes you can use skinned meshes, but it doesnt let you pose or animate on them while painting, it just imports the mesh data.

-PrizedGoat

Aaron2348 likes this.
  32. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

could you bake a color map with this?

33. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@Aaron2348,

I am not 100% sure i understand your question as there are multiple ways to consider something a "bake of a color map"...

In EditorPaint, you can paint in any texture slot a shader has... so diffuse (color map) is one of them you can hand paint into. You can also run "simulation" layers which bake different features or data into layers (Ambient Occlusion, Mesh Thickness, Emissive Light, Voronoi, 3D noise, Directional gradients, Positional Gradients, 3D grids, and more). You can run these in your diffuse channel if you want. After that, you can save the diffuse information to disc as a new texture.

Does that answer your question? Or did you mean bake in a different sense, like saving visual results in a specific way?

- PG

34. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Dam Hella late sorry lol...I meant like to use in substance painter or ddo..can i bake out a color map like that to apply materials in certain areas.

35. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Also is there custom brush support?

36. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@Aaron2348
    If we are thinking about the same thing, there isnt a mat color bake feature. but you could mark up each section you want however you want and then bake that down to a single texture if thats what you need. because EP lets you use Unity shaders, and to keep the UI a bit more "sane", we support one shader at a time in a project. With that in mind, there isnt a need in EP for traditional splat mat color charts... but you can bake down any color for any channel type you want regardless of that. :)

You can customize the brush however you like and you can use your own custom images as the brush texture. We dont have a brush library system setup yet. First we want to get a good pen pressure system setup, then we will extend brush settings etc.

You can however write your own "filter" shaders to create your own custom features. ... not what you asked about, but i find it very useful in production so unify work, improve quality and reduce time.

- PG

Aaron2348 likes this.
  37. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thank you Great Info, And i know there are other features being worked on, but it would be cool to have some sort option to save templates and quickly add them to layer stack

38. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

We have a working pen pressure system that we like enough to send it to the store. We are finishing up integration with pen features and will release a version soon. Sorry for the delay, we had to go through three different pen pressure techniques to find one we liked enough. ;)

Mark_01 and Aaron2348 like this.
  39. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

40. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

Because EditorPaint uses any shader on any geo that you tell it to use, you could set a object and shader to dp what you want, but it wont do it by default. Its not natively supported in 3d since we cant assume we know what your shader is doing or how your uvs are setup.
    I have added a task to look into adding a "tile paint mode" specifically for the 2d window to do what you want. :)

Gekigengar likes this.
  41. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Thanks a lot! I am thinking I need this feature to make reusable seamless textures! (Such as terrain textures, reusable wood textures, house bricks & roof, etc) Which needs them to be seamlessly tiled.

It would be very helpful if this is possible!

Another question, it said that I can continue painting without losing any layer data, what file type is it saved to?
    Can I export them to PSD?

42. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

43. clagrens

clagrens

Does editorPaint support the pen pressure now?

44. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@clagrens
    Sorry for the "black out" on info. Its been a crazy fall... swiched jobs, had major surgery, and the holidays...

We have it working but its not submitted to the store yet because we have been trying to fix a specific hardware scenario. Its working how we want on 2 of 3 hardware types. We recently review it and decided if we cant fix the last one quickly then we will be submitting a store update even with that one not working as we want and hoping its not a common case people run into. (it likely isnt since its not a common pen hardware type... Huion brand)

There will also be other updates and improvements to be found in the tool along with the pen pressure work submission. ;)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm using a Wacom, guess thats one of the more common ones, it will be working right?
    And I'm on a Mac, so should be more easy because you can use pressure build into unity.

Thanks for the update!

And happy new year

46. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@Lars-Steenhoff
    Our wacom test has been working correctly, along with the more generic microsoft laptop pen style laptops. Hopefully that means all wacom will work the same, there isnt tablet or screen specific variables so if one particular setup doesnt work, we may not be able to detect custom for that... but if we can expose a setting to help individual setups, we are happy to do that also. :)

47. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Can I project a texture onto a 3D object with EditorPainter?

48. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

@LukeDawn currently the answer is mostly no, but it will be a yes once i get the next update out.
    Currently you can use a texture for the paint brush, but its only grey scale. this can be painted in 3d space. Once I get the next update out you will have the ability to triplaner project and camera project.

Mark_01 and LukeDawn like this.
  49. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

FYI everyone,
    It looks like 2018.3 introduced a change to compute shaders that makes 3d painting not work as well as previous versions. I am working on a fix and will submit it as quickly as i can.

(For anyone who has run into a similar issue)
    It appears in 2018.3 unity changed compute buffers to check their size in a different way and to be much more strict about the size... (even though it seems less strict to me since it just keeps growing)
    If you set a buffer and use a size, it works the first time and will keep working if the size stays the same or grows. if the size shrinks it will throw an error.
    pre 2018.3.x we used this code:
    "dynamicUVBufferData.SetData(triUVDataArray);"
    This doesnt work in unity if the data size contantly changes.
    we now use this for 2018.3.x+
    "dynamicUVBufferData.SetData(triUVDataArray, 0, 0, usedTriUVDataArrayLength);"
    this sets the source data, source start, destination start and count.

Hope that helps anyone else who runs into the same issue.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  50. prizedgoat

prizedgoat

(new version is pending in the store. it contains critical 2018 bug fixs, pen pressure painting, tri planer project and camera planar projection. I will update when its live)

Mark_01 and LukeDawn like this.