Search Unity

EditorOverhead 200ms+

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by SpookyCat, Feb 12, 2018.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Been trying out the 2018 beta but for every project I have tried it on it has been impossible to use due to EditorOverhead using between 20ms to 200ms+ every few frames, which then causes a massive spike in FixedUpdate which makes testing anything in the editor impossible as the frame rate jumps all over the place. What is causing EditorOverhead to jump so high?
    editoroverhead.jpg

2. vonchor

vonchor

I'm looking in the forum because I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this - Within a few minutes of hitting Play in the editor I see this same thing and frame rate drops to near zero because of it. I've been wracking my brain thinking it was my code .... till I saw this same sort of profiler screen

3. snacktime

snacktime

It's an issue in 2017.3 also

4. Korindian

Korindian

Are you using an Nvidia card? The GeForce Experience overlay was causing editor slowdown until I disabled it.

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I do have an nVidia card but I do not have GeForce Experience installed. 2017 works just fine, 2018 though is totally unusable with this and other frame rate issues in the editor. Would be nice if someone from Unity responded.

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Did anyone of you already submit a bug report for those issues? If yes, please reference the case # here, if not, please do so. The more the better. You can find more information about bug reporting here.

7. snacktime

snacktime

I assumed it had already been reported given there is more then a single thread about it. I'll file one next time it hits hard. If I remember correctly it was getting bogged down in collecting draw stats. I've seen it at 1000ms+ self cpu time.

8. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you experiencing those spikes with a blank project as well? Could it be related to a plugin?

The similar issue in other threads are not showing EditorOverhead in the profiler.

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I get much smaller spikes in an empty project Editor Overhead goes from 6ms to 24ms every few seconds. I would suspect either CineMachine or Post Process stack is causing the problem as both of those have major issues in all my test projects as well, with again CineMachine sometimes taking a massive 200ms on some frames, and Post Process Stack just causes issues with VIsual Studio and causes errors in the Console on start up.

10. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

Could you try turning on 'Profile Editor' and see if you get more information?

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Here is a grab of the Editor Profiler, very simple scene, single skinned character, and a few rigid body objects, not moving.
    editorprofile.jpg

12. iivo_k

iivo_k

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

My monitors do not support G-Sync so I have no option to disable that. I do not have GeForce Experience installed so its not that. It is something in Unity 2018 and all other versions of Unity work fine with the scene.

14. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

I've brought this thread to the attention of the Physics team, as it looks like it's a Physics-related problem.

hippocoder and richardkettlewell like this.
  15. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Same here, using physics is killing our performance but not in previous versions

16. f1ac

f1ac

I am randomly getting huge Physics spikes in 2018.1b6 too. Usually restarting the editor helps.

17. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Same problem here, major stutters in the editor, something very wrong somewhere. Wish the 'Physics' team would show up and offer some help.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

+1 but on B7 at the moment.

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Any chance the Physics Team could respond with any suggestions or word on what could be causing this.

20. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

@yant Could we get an update on this?

Also; not really related to this thread: @yant Do you know when PhysX 3.4 upgrade is going to ship?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  21. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

We're trying to work out what caused this ASAP.

hippocoder and JakubSmaga like this.
  22. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

We can't share a date at this moment in time yet. The best I can share there is a high chance it would happen this year. :)

We want to make the new physx available gradually this time, and will be opening a thread for early testers/adopters some time around 2018.2 is in beta. It won't be publicly released with 18.2 though.

hippocoder and JakubSmaga like this.
  23. zKici

zKici

Same issue, good that its being worked on.

unityunity