Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor: Zoom Slider in Game View

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by numberkruncher, Dec 26, 2015.

1. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

This is a really useful new addition but I feel that the range of the slider is too short. I would like to be able to zoom in to at least 10x with just the slider; and also have the option to select some custom zoom amount.

Suggestion: What if the "#x" label was a drop-down editor window which allowed you to select from several common options and then at the very bottom a numeric input field that allows you to input any zoom value that is desired?

2. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

I too like it! It will really come in handy for the future cinematic additions they're adding.

3. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

What is the point behind the slider, I must be missing something as I cant really see why this was added?

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

In adding Retina/HiDPI support it became apparent this was necessary.
    Otherwise, game views are entirely too tiny or driving too much GPU power by rendering too many pixels making the editor sluggish.

@numberkruncher - have alerted dev to check out the thread and respond.

numberkruncher likes this.
  5. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

@MikeUpchat The game view is now zoomable so that you can properly preview game resolutions that are very different from the native resolution of your game view. For instance:

You're making an iPad 3 (2048x1536) game, but you're working on a MacBook Air (1280x800)
    Unity 5.3 would just use as much space as it could, resulting in a game view with a much lower resolution than your actual device. Anything depending on the resolution might look different on the device than in the game view (IM GUI, for instance). The zoomable game view allows less than 1:1 scaling if there isn't enough room for 1:1, so what you see is just a smaller version of what you should get on the device.

You're still supporting the iPhone 3GS (320x480), but you're working on a retina iMac (5120x2880)
    At 1:1, this game view is not much larger than a postage stamp. The zoomable game view allows you to see what you're working with with when you're previewing something with a much lower resolution than you're running the editor.

@numberkruncher In what case would more than 5x zoom help you?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    numberkruncher and elbows like this.
  6. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Thanks for the replies, II see the reason now :)

7. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

@DanielBrauer well I thought that this was for zooming into detailed areas to make sure that things are all properly aligned to the pixel. A higher zoom would make it easier to see more detailed regions of your UI or scene.