Search Unity

Editor windows blank when opening any project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NlaakStudios, Feb 15, 2019.

1. NlaakStudios

NlaakStudios

This started about a year ago when Unity started using the 2018-x version format. At first, I could force the use of OpenGL. Then I have to change my settings for running Unity3D on my NVidia GTX 980M to run on the built-in Intel gfx, and then finally it just stopped working. Since then I have not found the answer to this, unity has not fixed the issue, therefore, I canceled my pro subscription as I could not even use the product.
    My development machine is an Acer Predator 17, Octacore, 32GB RAM, 512GB Evo Pro SSD, 1 TB Secondary Drive, blah, blah, it's a beast and used to run it perfectly.

I am need of updating all my content now and I still cannot get it to work at all. Even create and new default blank project. If you open any project (even blank) you get no view for all windows, even the update dialog as you can see in the screenshot.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, always have the latest drivers and cannot get this to work with anything I have tried. 100% Useless at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have several years of creating content and purchased thousands of $$$ worth of assets which are unusable at this point.

Attached Files:

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

When this occurs is Unity busy burning CPU, or is the process largely idle?

If you disable all network interfaces before launching Unity, does the same issue occur?

3. NlaakStudios

NlaakStudios

Thank you for your response. Low to none, see screenshot.

Also, "If you disable all network interfaces before launching Unity, does the same issue occur?" You mean kill internet access? Working offline is the same result minus the update dialog popping up of course.

Attached Files:

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What I meant was, Unity has had all kinds of problems over the years dealing with situations where it thinks it has internet access but can't actually talk to Unity's servers (such as connected to wifi that doesn't route to the Internet, behind a proxy or VPN which doesn't behave well with whatever traffic Unity sends home, or in a country which for political reasons blocks access to Unity servers). Disabling all network interfaces is just a simple way to ensure it doesn't even try to talk home. I've also seen in offline mode where it gets stuck with a blank window when it should be displaying your known projects, then killing/relaunching Unity it finishes loading correctly, but it looks like you already got past that point.

5. NlaakStudios

NlaakStudios

Ok well, I went into Airplane mode on the laptop and then started Unity3D. It showed me offline and I had to continue by clicking work offline. When I opened a new blank project, it's still all white but I had no update dialog. I then closed Unity#d, re-enabled internet access, started unity3d, logged into my account and try to open the same project and another new project. both are a white screen. in DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.4 (Forced)

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Dang, sorry I got nothing else besides checking what the editor log says is happening. Hopefully someone else comes along.

7. NlaakStudios

NlaakStudios

Thank you for taking the time to try.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Editor log files are located as listed at the top of this page by the way:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

The log file may say it is stuck doing something, or something failed, etc. Probably worth a look if you haven't tried yet.