Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor vs Asset Seats

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by krahvaal, Jan 1, 2019.

1. krahvaal

krahvaal

EDIT: Not sure how I missed FAQ Unity where it states we can use on 2 Operating Systems and another stating 2 versions but to use different directories.
    Okay, I've got 2017 on the dev machine and 2018 on the test machine with no server complaints. This will make all the difference in planning whether to update the dev machine to 2018.
    I'll worry about Assets as and when by contacting the author(s) as required.
    I've left my original post for anyone else wondering.

Having searched on the following I've found conflicting answers. Rules changing over time or whatever.

I have a pc designed for development, connected via KVM to a pc designed for gaming (testing).
    My Unity Plus Seat is registered on the development machine.

Around July 2018 I found a number of assets I had bought did not work properly on Unity 2018.
    I've been doing courses and development on 2017 LTS since.

I'm now finding a number of courses moving to 2018, a number of assets have upgraded and most of my time is in development anyway.

I'm not game to update the development machine to 2018.3 just yet, so at this stage...

* Continue developing using 2017 LTS on the 'development machine'.
    * Build for testing using 2018 on the 'test machine'.

It will take me around 6 months or more before my first Unity game will be ready for review, so at that stage...

* Update the development machine to whichever Unity version appropriate.
    * Stop using the Unity Editor on the test machine altogether.

Unless I'm mistaken, I will have no problem with my Unity Plus seat as long as I do not have the Unity Editor open on both machines at once.
    If I am wrong about that then what happens with running 2 versions of Unity on the same machine?

If the different Unity Editor are on 2 machines I have no problem with Asset Version control - what about Asset seats?
    If the different Unity Editor are on 1 machine then I have no problem with Asset seats - what about Asset Version control?

EDIT: I cut here down from original post due to my EDIT at the top.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I think you're misunderstanding the FAQ. You can install an unlimited number of Unity versions on each machine, and can do so on up to 2 machines per Unity license. They use 2 versions in the question as an example, as in someone with just 1 version and wants a 2nd version installed. You do it in separate directories so you don't overwrite the previous version during your install.

If you want to install every version of Unity ever made, your only limitation is if you have the hard disk space.