Search Unity

Editor UI scaling in macOS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hendrik-Mans, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

Hey lovely Unity people,

the Windows version of Unity has had a (very nice) Editor UI Scaling feature for a while now that is still absent from the macOS version (as well as Linux, as I understand.) Is there any chance to get this on macOS (and Linux) in an upcoming version?

I work on both a PC and a Mac, both of which are connected to a 109 DPI screen (a 34" Ultrawide running at 3440x1440). macOS' font rendering on non-Retina screens has become quite bad in recent versions of the OS, making things even worse. All text in the Unity editor is very hard to read, some UI elements that use even smaller fonts -- like the particle system editor -- are borderline unusable.

To make things worse, this is made even worse when using the Professional Theme (aka Dark Mode). Here's a screenshot (if you're not on a 109 DPI screen, this will look larger than it is on my screen, and probably quite fuzzy):

upload_2020-7-8_12-30-30.png

Everything is nice and crisp when I work on the built-in Retina display, which also allows me to scale resolutions to a certain extent, but macOS doesn't do any of this scaling on non-Retina screens (where my only option would be to switch to a lower native resolution, which doesn't really solve the problem.)

I would be very happy to hear that it's at least planned to bring this setting to macOS (and Linux), too. Thanks!

hotchick and mimiCryMuffin like this.
  2. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

For comparison, here's the same section of the editor in Windows (running at a very convenient 125% UI scale):

upload_2020-7-8_12-40-29.png

mimiCryMuffin likes this.
  3. mimiCryMuffin

mimiCryMuffin

I need scale Editor for macOs too=(( because macOs can't scale UI natively - it's just render in twice resolution (need high performance)

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

You can right click unity app and set to low resolution mode

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I mean that was possible in the past, I just checked and I don't see that option anymore, maybe MacOS Monterey took it out.

6. Curlicue

Curlicue

How are people using Unity even on a 1440p monitor like this? Is there a fix yet?

7. hotchick

hotchick

any update on this question?

8. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

It's never going to happen. This post is nearing its 10 year anniversary.

hotchick likes this.