Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor UI needs to improve and support high DPI

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by optimise, Apr 19, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

Until now, it seems still does not really support high DPI display really well and some words display in blurry way. The some words become ugly for each tab and the content inside the tab. Seems like the font has been changed to something else.

mimiCryMuffin and MaxEden like this.
  2. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Thanks for reporting the issue. This is something that we are working on. Right now the text should align correctly at 200%, 300%, e.g integer scales, but not scales like 125% or 150%.

The filter mode of icons is also a separate problem which we have fixed and should come in an upcoming beta build.

3. Acrosicious

Acrosicious

Is there an option to disable Unity scaling altogether? I'd rather have a smaller Interface than a blurry one in the meantime.

4. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

This settings is defined per monitor in the Windows settings.

Right click on desktop -> Display Settings -> Scale and Layout -> Change the size of text ...

Mauri likes this.
  5. codestage

codestage

Hey,

I've reported this issue with 125% system scale to QA and got this interesting workaround for the problem from the kind sir Tomas Kucinskas (thanks, Tomas!):
    upload_2018-4-25_0-50-53.png

And it really fixes the problem (disabling Unity built-in scaling) which is great as a temporary solution ^^

Tho I would like to warn fellow developers it will affect the Visual Studio appearance if you will run it from Unity (by double-clicking script in Project Browser for example): fonts will be blurry and menus will have graphics artifacts (items background will disappear).
    So if you will use this workaround make sure you are running Visual Studio not from Unity.

twhittaker likes this.
  6. optimise

optimise

Hi @antoine-unity, ETA to fix 125% scaling issue?

7. vadersb_ru

vadersb_ru

Hi, @antoine-unity!

I believe it's quite a common case (and mine also :) with 125% scaling. I've set the 125% scaling on my 27 inch QHD monitor for larger windows controls and general convenience, but I strongly prefer professional software (like Photoshop, IDEs, and Unity) to use 100% scaling to avoid any artifacts and use smaller controls for bigger work area.

Please consider some simple way to opt-out of adapting to scaling for Unity. Maybe a command line argument like -no-dpi-scaling.

Thanks!

8. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

We are in the process of bringing the fix to the 2018.2 beta.
    Stay tuned :)

Mikhail94, frankn and optimise like this.
  9. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

Waiting for fix. On the laptop only 125% look good but Unity does not support it :(

10. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

A fix has made available in 2018.2.0b7.

Thanks,

11. vadersb_ru

vadersb_ru

@antoine-unity I've checked the newest 2018.2 beta 8, and while there are some improvements there, there are still problems with how the Editor looks and behaves in 125% scale on Windows 10.

Specifically, the biggest problem is with the Game window, the contents are rendered scaled to 1.25 with 'nearest neighbour' filter, so it looks distorted and definitely not precise! This distortion makes it cumbersome and unpleasant to work with the Game window to preview how a game looks!

The scale slider in Game window is actually quite useful, to zoom to 2x or to 3x and check the pixels, so it's totally ok that it's 'nearest neighbour' filtered. But please give the access to 1x zooming for a precise, not distorted view!

Or better yet, provide a command-line option to disable hidpi editor scaling and stick to original scale regardless of Windows scale settings. It would be definitely useful for those who work with 125% Windows scale.

And a quick example screenshot of Game window: Unity 2018.2.0b8 Personal (64bit) Standalone _DX11_ 2018-06-18 11.37.15.png

Raali_Oloth likes this.
  12. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Back when retina support was introduced for macOS Retina displays, the option "Low Resolution Aspect Ratio" was added to the GameView. It is enabled by default in order to emulate lower pixel density, but it's still possible to disable it if needed.

Please find more information about this here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.2/Documentation/Manual/GameView.html

Hope this helps.

13. vadersb_ru

vadersb_ru

@antoine-unity thank you for the tip! I wonder how could I've missed it! :) With this feature available, I have no further complaints regarding using the Editor with 125% scaling.

14. optimise

optimise

Hi @antoine-unity, sadly it still doesn't look good yet. I'm on 125% scaling.
    Editor UI.png

15. Prodigga

Prodigga

Will it does look like all the blurry font issues are resolved, but still everything is pretty blurry.

16. Raali_Oloth

Raali_Oloth

+1 for the option of disabling scale at all
    if you remove checkmark from Low Resolusion Aspect Ratios in resolutions list then you can set screen scale to 1

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    brando_slc likes this.