Search Unity

Editor stuck in Reload Script Assembly and Application.Reload. How to profile this?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BigRookGames, Apr 8, 2021.

1. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

Over the past week or so I have encountered numerous instances during development where the editor gets stuck in a loading sequence. This happens at different stages but most frequently upon returning to the editor after saving a script in VS 2019 latest version. I tried to remove what was added when the problem became prevalent and it did seem to help a little, but still encountering this multiple times per day.

I've waited a couple of times to see if it is just taking a long time and it goes on for up to 2 hours before I forced the program to close through the task manager.

I am wondering if there is a good way to monitor or profile the actions up to the point where it no longer responds. The profiler isn't much help since I have to restart the editor. I also have looked at the editor logs but don't see anything relevant. Is there any way to check where it is getting stuck? because it happens intermittently it is difficult to reproduce.

Any suggestions?

2. v-strelchenko

v-strelchenko

I've created a bug report to a similar issue I have, while referencing this post:
    FogBugz (unity3d.com)

3. illinar

illinar

My question as well. I suspect there are particular assemblies that cause this and I might get rid of, but I don't see a way of knowing where this happens.

My colleague has no issues like that on the same project (sync via Collab)

guywald likes this.
  4. azaridi

azaridi

This is obviously not a solution but it helps on my system, try attaching the debugger to the running unity process from VS, for some insane reason that seems to resolve the problem.
    I tried this even after leaving the editor 'busy' for over an hour.

5. rduclos56

rduclos56

If I load the visual studio project or close it, it seems to resolve this hanging but it sure is annoying.