Search Unity

Question Editor stops responding when stopping playmode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BigRookGames, Jul 30, 2020.

1. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

I keep having this issue, just upgraded to 2020 but was using 2019.4 and saw the same thing. Once in a while the editor locks up when stopping play mode, and it hangs for a long time, and usually cpu at 0%, though it shows .1% below.
    I created a memory dump from the task manager (because no crash report when it hangs) but not exactly sure what information I should be looking for, or if it is of any help.

I think it has something to do with additional threads processing and never correctly shutting down on play stop because usually i end up finding a thread that is active and stop the script that started it and it fixes it, but it continues to happen and I would really like to figure out what it is because it is starting to impact development quite a bit.

The machine has 32 cores with 64 threads if that makes any difference. I haven't tried it on another machine with less yet.

Any idea on what might be causing this ?

upload_2020-7-30_13-7-43.png

2. BullDoze

BullDoze

I actually have the same problem: I have a websocket server thread that runs indefinitely. To stop it I introduced a switch that should ent the endless loop. It seems to stop the loop judging by the cpu load but the editor still does not return from playmode, i.e. it seems stuck with little or now cpu usage. (using 2019.4 as well).

BigRookGames likes this.
  3. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

Hmm, does it always happen for you? Mine seems to happen for a while and then if I start unity, save and exit, then reopen it is good for a few days after which it starts again.

4. BullDoze

BullDoze

yep, EVERYtime... still looking to find a solution...will keep you posted if I find one (and a possible explanation of what's happening)

5. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

Okay, thanks. Not sure if you found the other posts about freezing on ending playmode (I would assume that you did) but it sounds like they tried something similar to what you mentioned, to disable all threads and external calls in the application quit function. Didn't do anything for me though..