Search Unity

Editor Speed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SSL7, Oct 15, 2020.

1. SSL7

SSL7

I know there is a lot of threads about this, people with big size projects have this issue with the editor being a bit slow.

I went ahead and upgraded my main dev PC to aRyzen 3950x, 64gb ram and 2x2TB Gen4 SSDs (I do more stuff with this one than just unity).

My question is why Unity never uses more than 10% of my CPU or disk? While at the same time when I do some big multithread working on it I stay there and wait, is there something I can do? Is it because Unity doesn't utilize multiple threads well?

Using 2019.4.x

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are you talking about 10% of a single core, or 10% of all 16 cores / 32 threads you have? Are you using vsync? Are you video card bottlenecked? If you do CPU based lightmap baking, are you still only get 10% utilization?

Unity puts all your Monobehaviour scripts on the main thread. Some things, like physics are automatically multithreaded, but your scripts you will have to design them to be multithreaded if you want to take advantage of your extra cores (create new threads manually or use the Jobs system). Otherwise, simple math says a maxed out main thread on a 16 core CPU could only ever account for 6.25% total CPU utilization.

3. SSL7

SSL7

Well my issue is not on play mode, but in editor, I m trying to navigate to the world and make changes and it slows down when multiple terrains are open, there is nothing I can do on my side to improve performance on the editor it self.

4. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Most editor tasks are either single threaded or lightly threaded, making most of your cores sit idle. Many I/O heavy tasks are also intertwined with single threaded serial tasks, not fully using high end SSDs (but they do help, a lot, in tasks where Unity scans through the entire project).

This means there's a point beyond which it doesn't matter how beefed up your PC is. You can make it faster with a CPU that has faster single core performance, or faster RAM, but not by much.

One thing that does help, specially if you're making constant changes to prefab, is to disable automatic asset refresh. You'll have to press CTRL+R to scan for asset changes manually, but the editor should stop freezing at every little change.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. SSL7

SSL7

Yeah the automatic refresh disabling is a good hint and I have done it already :)