Search Unity

Editor sends data to Google Analytics and Keen.io

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nepitard, Jan 25, 2016.

1. nepitard

nepitard

I've found unity editor sending some data to keen.io and google analytics servers on start.

unity3d-linux.png

Could you tell me what kind of data is it?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I'm assuming it's used to gather their hardware statistics (which can be disabled in Unity Pro).

3. nepitard

nepitard

But why they're using keen.io and google analytics to gather hardware statistics? Keen.io collects information not only about your hardware but about your IP, geolocation etc.

keen.png
    (https://keen.io/product/)

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

There is an easy way to block connections to urls on Linux. I don't want to get banned or anything, so just try google.

I'd also appreciate if they wouldn't spy on us, considering how that's the reason why many of us switched from Windows to Linux. Sadly I doubt that this is going to stop, Unity's whole trend seems to go towards 'the cloud', 'paying monthly' and 'always online'. You may have noticed how even the launcher tries to log in over the internet every time you start Unity.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    boxhallowed, LukaKotar and nepitard like this.
  5. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Essentially this. I made the difficult switch to Linux precisely due to the spying in Windows 10. I saw the future of Windows and I didn't like it. If Unity moves towards this whole 'always online', 'cloud', 'data scruffing' paradigm, I am going to back to dealing with Unreal.