Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[Editor] 'Select All Scenes' checkbox in build settings

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Teku-Studios, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Okay, here's the thing. When you have a big project you sometimes want to make a quick build with independent scenes to test features, bugs, whatever. When that project has, say, over 50 scenes, if you want to make a build containing only one or two scenes, you are forced to manually deselect almost 50 checkboxes in the Build settings menu, one by one.

This is insanely slow and unintuitive. I think it's about time for Unity to include such a basic feature nowadays as a 'Select All' checkbox that would check/uncheck every scenes in the Build menu at once. I've made a quick mockup to show how it could look, and it would actually be very easy to fit in the current Editor design:

Select All scenes button.png

Sometimes little additions like this one help the users feel that a software is more intuitive and straight-forward. In case you guys think it is a good idea, I've created a Feedback ticket that you can support here:

>> https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/select-all-scenes-checkbox-in-build-settings

2. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

What you can do is highlight all scenes (click on one then press Ctrl + A), then click on any one of the check-boxes. That will toggle them all on / off.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  3. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

In addition to Ctrl+A, you can also hold shift to select a range of scenes to toggle on or off.

With that said, I agree that the build window in general is a bit clumsy to work with. We've been looking into completely redoing that window.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  4. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Really? I've tried holding Shift when selecting to no avail, but maybe I did it wrong. I'll definitely try that more intensely. The Ctrl+A shortcut is also welcome :)

Thanks guys!

5. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

P.S.: Hope that the new redesign of the Build Settings window includes the 'Select All' checkbox anyway to facilitate things :)

shawn likes this.
  6. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

By the way, maybe I'm not getting it right, but neither Ctrl+A nor holding Shift are working for me on Windows 10... Don't know if I'm too stupid or what, but I can't get those keyboard shortcuts to work.

7. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Hmm... I know of one minor bug there where you have to click on a scene first before Ctrl+A works. The window isn't listening for the select all event until it has keyboard control. However, that doesn't really account for shift click not working. I just tried here on a Windows 10 machine and it's working as expected. Wonder what's different.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  8. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

I'll try that again later, then. Currently in Windows Anniversary Update, maybe that's the key? It seems to have introduced quite a number of changes.

9. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Okay, clicking on a scene first before worked, for both Ctrl+A and Shift :) Thanks!

10. Miguel_LZ

Miguel_LZ

Well, just found out about this request and would like to ask how is this progressing, since I haven't seen it mentioned in either the Roadmap or Unity Blog lately.

Is it still possible to see this change (or whichever Build Settings window redesign @shawn wrote about almost 3 years ago) implemented in the 2019.x cycle as suggested by the OP? It would definitely be a small albeit nice addition to speed things up inside that window.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019