Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor screen won't load in Elementary Juno (Ubuntu 18.04)

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by sterlingm, Feb 10, 2019.

1. sterlingm

sterlingm

I am trying to run Unity3D on Elementary Juno which is (basically) Ubuntu 18.04 underneath with the Pantheon desktop environment as the UI. When I run Unity, I get the screen to open a project and everything seems normal. However, after selecting a project (or creating a new one), the Unity window appears, but the actual editor screen does not load in the window. The screenshot below shows what I am talking about. In the screenshot, I have opened a project in Unity, but instead of seeing the editor inside of the Unity window I see my desktop background. Inside the Unity window is like an image of my desktop when I launched Unity.

https://imgur.com/xpgPvQI

Has anyone experienced this or know what I can try to test? I'm not sure how to describe the error so I haven't been successful at finding a solution on Google. I think it's a...compositing issue? Or a redrawing issue? I think the issue could be with my gpu drivers, but I'm just not sure. I can interact with the top menu buttons (File, Edit, Window, etc). I can drag the window around, maximize it, and close it fine. But I cannot see or interact with anything in the area that the actual Unity editor should show.

My GPU is a Nvidia GTX 960. I am using the proprietary drivers on Linux. I have gone into the Nvidia Powermizer settings and changed the performance to max performance.

glxinfo | grep version
    returns:

Code (csharp):
    1. server glx version string: 1.4
    2. client glx version string: 1.4
    4. GLX version: 1.4
    5. OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77
    6. OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
    7. OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77
    8. OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
    9. OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 390.77
    10. OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    11. GL_EXT_shader_implicit_conversions, GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix,

Note that my OpenGL version is 4.6, but at the top of my Unity window it says OpenGL 4.5. Could it be something with that? If so, then is there a way to downgrade my OpenGL without breaking stuff in my system? Or can I downgrade and run the downgraded version only for this application?

I checked all the dependencies listed in one of the sticky posts and I have all of them.

I have this error using two methods of installing Unity:

1) Installing Unity with the latest UnityHub AppImage.

2) Installing Unity based on the instructions here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1077816/how-to-install-unity3d-on-ubuntu-18-04. One interesting thing is that with this method, everything works if I run Unity as root 'sudo unity3d'. However, opening a project as root makes some of the files be owned by root so I can't open it as non-root again.

Currently, I am using UnityHub. If I run UnityHub as root, then I still see the problem.

Does anyone know what may be wrong or what I can test for? Any help is appreciated.

2. sterlingm

sterlingm

Update: I am able to get the editor screen showing, but some issues still exist.

I am able to get the editor screen going by doing 'export GTK_CSD=0' and then running the UnityHubSetup.AppImage file. This loads the editor screen pretty reliably.

However, the file chooser does not load. I can select "Open scene" or "Open project", but the file chooser window never shows. An error message shows up when I run the app image that would explain this. When I run the AppImage, the first message is:

Gtk-Message: 20:33:59.322: Failed to load module "pantheon-filechooser-module"

When I run 'env | grep -i gtk' I see:

GTK_CSD=0
    QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk3
    GTK_MODULES=:pantheon-filechooser-module:gail:atk-bridge

So I guess the problem is that Pantheon runs GTK3, but Unity needs GTK2. Is there any work around for this? I can run Unity by setting GTK_CSD=0, but it is kind of a hassle to not be able to use a file chooser.

3. SuperSteeeeeeeve

SuperSteeeeeeeve

Are you sure you installed all dependencies?

Try this in a terminal.

Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 libsoup2.4-1 libarchive13 libgconf-2-4 libnspr4 p7zip-full tar gzip cpio zip gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libgtk2.0-0 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm
    To be sure try to reinstall unity as well and then it should work.
    I used elementary a while ago and had the same issues, after installing all dependencies it worked as expected, without any commandline arguments from the terminal. Try to use Unity Hub everytime for anything. :)

Bildschirmfoto von 2019-02-14 04-23-39.png

4. sterlingm

sterlingm

I copied your command into the terminal and everything was installed. I re-installed Unity via UnityHub. No changes though, same problems. I will probably just switch back to vanilla Ubuntu with Gnome installed.