Search Unity

Editor runs super slow (< 1 fps) when Dell Visor HMD is plugged in

Discussion in 'VR' started by buscommando, Mar 13, 2018.

1. buscommando

buscommando

Hi folks, I got a Dell Visor HMD to toy around with some VR experiences but every version of 2017 and 2018 that I have tried so far is unusable because the editor chugs - basically the editor freezes for a half second at half second intervals. This is with a new, empty project.

When I unplug the Visor the editor immediately shoots up to 200fps and I can use it normally.

While Visor plugged in:

(every blue peak here is where the editor freezes solid for a half sec or so)

After unplugging Visor:

(despite the spikes the editor runs great)

I have disabled Nvidia overlay, windows gaming overlay, any other overlays I can think of. I've tried running unity with the -force-opengl and -force-glcore and -force-d3d9x arguments, but with the same experience. Using up to date video drivers. Any suggestions?

I cannot build any kind of WMR experience in Unity if my editor runs like this.

8-core AMD
    Nvidia GTX 960
    16 GB RAM

2. gilead

gilead

I'm having very similar sounding problems.

I'm currently using Unity 2018.1.0b11. My headset is Samsung's Odyssey and I'm using with via their SteamVR plugin.

In the screenshot below I'm running example scene from VRTK, 004_CameraRig_BasicTeleport

I intend to test this again in totally new project without anything in it, but I'm guessing it will repro there as well.

Also what's interesting is that the spikes don't always happen. So far I've got the spikes with controllers on and off and while trying to actively do stuff as well as standing still.

There are no spikes or any problems if I use Vive headset instead of MR headset.

Based on the screenshot, this sounds awfully lot like earlier (or still-existing?) bug from 2015-2016. There the problem was in the job system, and jobs sometimes running for a very long time, ending up looking like physics bugs (more info in the thread): https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-5-profiler-shows-physics-spikes-on-android-device.317396/

vr_spikes_01.PNG

3. gilead

gilead

Managed to reproduce without SteamVR or VRTK!

Steps
    1. Create new project in Unity 2018.1.0b11
    2. Enable VR in PlayerSettings
    3. Plug in Odyssey HMD
    4. To the initial scene, add a cube
    5. To the cube, add a rigidbody
    6. Mark the rigidbody kinematic
    7. Press play
    8. Move around the scene and turn your head until spikes start to occur
    Screenshot:

vr_spikes_02.PNG

I have not yet raised a ticket, will probably soon, unless someone points me to already existing ticket.

Thoughts:
    The problem doesn't seem to happen without having a rigibody in the scene

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the info, I will dig into this issue. Can you clarify which SDK's you where using, and the settings in your repro project?

5. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Are you using Enable Depth Buffer Sharing in the XR settings?

6. gilead

gilead

Excuse me, where am I supposed to find that? I can't see that setting under Player Settings -> XR Settings.

I tested the different Stereo Rendering Methods, and the problem exists on all of them.

7. gilead

gilead

Just to be clear: I'm using OpenVR and Odyssey HMD through the SteamVR + Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. This way it's a single build for Vive and MR headsets.