Search Unity

Editor Rotation Issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HoloGuy, May 9, 2017.

1. HoloGuy

HoloGuy

Hi all!

I've got some strange behaviour in my current project:

When adding a new primitive game object as root (not child object!) in the hierarchy, the rotation of this object seems messed up. I added some screenshots to explain this issue.

0 deg z.PNG

Here, I added a simple capsule object and reset it's position and rotation to 0/0/0 and 0/0/0 (scale is 1/1/1). Please note, that this object has no parent in the hierarchy but the scene itself. As you can see, the view is set to isometric and I aligned the editor camera in that way that it has the "back" orientation and isn't self-rotated. You can observe a slightly tilted capsule (the collider lines doesn't "match" with the grid).

Now I rotate that capsule 90 degrees around the Z-axis. The new transform is 0/0/0 and 0/0/90:
    90 deg z.PNG

What the heck is going on here? This isn't a rotation of 90 degrees for sure.

The following picture shows a rotation of 180 degrees around the Z-axis (0/0/0 and 0/0/180):

180 deg z.PNG

Here, everything looks fine. The same for 270 degrees (didn't made a picture for that).

When I rotate 90 degrees around the X-axis, I have the same problem:

90 deg x.PNG

So, am I doing something plain wrong or what is going on here?

2. HoloGuy

HoloGuy

Okay, I tried to reproduce the issue using a blank project but I wasn't able to do so. So I just saved and closed my project and reopened it. The rotated object showed this transform values:

rotation.PNG

I reset the transform and rotated it again - now everything works fine. But maybe this post helps finding the issue beyond it. Oh, I did the tests with a capsule with scale 1/1/1, but the first affected object these measurements come from, was set to 0.1/0.2/0.1. So the scale seems to be unaffected from this problem.