Search Unity

Editor Release Scheduling for Cloud Build?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by mcarriere, Mar 5, 2019.

1. mcarriere

mcarriere

Unity released a critical security fix yesterday, updating several of the available versions.

I've noticed that several hours after this release, Cloud Build still does not have these versions available to select as a target. As a team, we took the announcement seriously, but this is somewhat challenging if the services that we are also relying on are not in lock-step with the access and availability to released editors in UCB.

Could someone provide information on what the current process is to make new Unity versions available on UCB, and what delay we should expect from Unity with these releases?

2. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

As noted in that security issue this affects windows only (Cloud Build only builds on mac hardware):

Having said that though, all of the versions indicated as patched were also added to Cloud Build late yesterday afternoon. Is there a specific one you see that is missing?

3. mcarriere

mcarriere

Huh. I swear that I checked the config option of a target and looked for 2017.4.22 prior to posting this and did not see it.

It's showing up now, so consider the specific situation resolved. (I was aware that it was a windows-only fix, but my assumption was that despite that fact, that the editor wouldn't diverge version numbers based on the platforms that were shipped for the editor.)

That being said, can you speak to the original question: are the releases to Unity Cloud Build expected to be simultaneous to when new editor releases become available to users, or is there some amount of a timed delay?

4. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Ya sorry I missed answering your actual question. Generally, releases should show up in Cloud Build roughly the same time they are made available to users. They have to be verified on our end and enabled in production, so occasionally a release will take a bit longer to show up in Cloud Build specifically if we ran into any issues during testing or are missing some critical dependencies that changed (for example when a new build of Unity requires a specific set of Android build tools).

5. mcarriere

mcarriere

Perfect, thanks!