Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor profile - get more info from FlushDirty

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by theGreatSlutze, Aug 20, 2019.

1. theGreatSlutze

theGreatSlutze

I've now had a few cases of the editor running very slowly, and when I try to go into the profiler and turn on the editor profiler, this is what I see:

upload_2019-8-20_13-0-6.png

I sort of understand what FlushDirty does, but mostly I'm confused because every function underneath it claims to be consuming 0.0% of the CPU. How can I find out what's actually causing the issue here?

2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Is this with enabled "Deep Profiler"? If yes, I think it is a case of not enough profiler markers in the FlushDirty code.
    Besides the deep profiler there is nothing you can do to get more information. I would recommend filing a bug that FlushDirty freezes the Editor.
    Generally I can see here 2 issues - 1) FlushDirty performance issue which blocks the Editor and impacts productivity and 2) Missing profiler markers which can help with understanding if this is a scripting code or not that causes spike

3. ibbybn

ibbybn

I had an old script which caused this after updating to 2019.2.
    If it's like my problem you probably have "EditorUtility.SetDirty" called every frame somewhere. I've just added a save button and the problem is gone.