Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor player performance get worse for each version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndersMalmgren, Jul 12, 2018.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

In 2017 playing our game in the editor worked ok. Very few frame drops, and the few that were was only a frame.

In 2018.1 and more so in 2018.2 this got much, much worse. So much that SteamVR decicedes to go back to SteamVR home screen (it happens if you lose 4 or more frames I think).

You guys experience the same?

2. Peter77

Peter77

Nope, editor performance seems to be OK here. Did you fire up the Profiler to check what is causing the drop in performance?

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It could be relelated to VR (SteamVR, Single pass instanced etc). I will profile more its just something I have reflected over while upgrading our game from 2017 to 2018 and now 2018.2 it got even worse. It's only the editor it's fine in built (though I should bench 2017.4.6 Vs 2018.2 in built too)

4. Peter77

Peter77

2018.2 is also slower than 2018.1 with my project, but I tested a Windows Standalone build, not sure about the editor.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Have you identified what's slower ?

6. Peter77

Peter77

It's probably Physics/Rigidbody/Collider related. I was able to reproduce it in an isolated project that just rotates a few objects with attached Colliders and Rigidbodies.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Nice find hope they find and fix it. Our game is very physics driven but we only have a few bodies active at a time, it seems you need several hundred in your video to get those 0.8

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Well if all of our 12 players do this at the same time there are a few active bodies :)