Search Unity

Editor player different from standalone/web player?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jdebroy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jdebroy

jdebroy

Making some tests I just discovered that the compiled result has some critical variations from the game I can play on unity's editor.

As an example, the islands demo run perfectly when clicking play on editor.
    However, when playing the windows Standalone or webplayer, first thing that happens is three messages>

- water reflections not supported on this computer
    - high detail terrain textures not supported on this computer
    - reducing draw distance (old video card detected)

Of course render quality is diminished, and other things like a "wave" of vegetation seems to lead the first person camera. Water looks transparent, while on the editor it looks great.

My developing machine is a relatively well equipped Centrino Duo laptop, 17" HD display, 2GB Ram, vista HP sp1, ATI Radeon mobility HD2600 with 512MB, and latest drivers installed with ATI mobility modder, meaning both directX and openGL drivers are latest ones.

But above all, results should be the same on the editor as in the player for a given machine, or not?

How can I tell the editor to act the same as a standalone or web player?

P.S. I've tested the player with all quality settings, from fastest up to fantastic, and all ranges of resolution presented on player startup options. All with same results.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

It normally behaves the same but the island demo has special code that detects the hardware and reduces stuff depending on it. So you would have to alter the code for your purpose.

the first message you mention there will also appear if you build the island demo with the regular Unity as reflection, refraction, shadow etc are Unity Pro only features thus they appear as "unavailable" and the hardware support detection code in the island demo that is used for the settings optimization interprets that as "your hardware does not support it" (because unity refuses to offer it without pro) thus firing that message.