Search Unity

Editor panels only redraw on update / mouse over

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by javl, Aug 20, 2019.

1. javl

javl

I've been having this problem on two separate machines. Both running the latest Unity and Debian (which I know isn't officially supported).

All of the separate panels in unity (Scene, Game, Console, Inspector) only redraw when they are updated, meaning that when I alt-tab between programs or move a different window over the Unity window, it will leave a trace (see screenshot where I dragged my browser over the window).

As soon as one of the panels updates (like the scene window redrawing after editing some script) or when I move the cursor over a panel, they redraw and are fine again. I've been getting around this by just flicking my cursor all over the screen every time I alt tab into Unity from some other program, but is it starting to drive me nuts ;)

Unity 2019.2.0f1 (via Hub)
    Debian 9 (buster), all up to date
    Openbox window manager
    Latest Nvidia drivers (430.40)
    No display manager (Other programs don't seem to care edit: just installed xldm and got the sme result)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. sentropie

sentropie

+1
    have the same problem here with latest Arch Linux, i3 wm and Compton.

3. markedagain

markedagain

I been trying to solve this for months, my super old editors work just fine, but not on newer ones.
    I have tried compton and xcompmgr. i tried playing around nvidia settings also, but still no go. Ill post if i get anywhere else.
    Edit:changed pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. javl

javl

Good to know it's not just me.
    @markedagain I think I was using a 2018 version for a long time, which worked fine. So maybe something changed around the 2019 versions? Not sure if that's something we can use to figure out how to fix this (and if this even is something users can fix, or is caused by something in the Unity code).

5. markedagain

markedagain

I also noticed, on some of my pcs I cant pull the tabs out or have them anchor back in by dragging em. I now have a feeling the panes are being treated as individual windows by i3 and its causing some weird behaviors.
    @javl do u have same issue with changing where panels are ?

6. Luminoth

Luminoth

Same issue here on both a laptop and PC, using i3 on Ubuntu 18.04

7. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

You need to enable compositing in your WM. If your WM doesn't have that, you need to install something like Compton or Xcompmgr.

PixelJ likes this.
  8. Oonushi

Oonushi

Thank you, this worked for me.

I was having a similar problem, but when I changed Layouts from the Layout menu the menu bars would stay visible, but the rest of the area was blank and I couldn't get it to update.

Installing xcompmgr fixed it right off the bat.

PixelJ likes this.
  9. sentropie

sentropie

compton and xcompmgr with default settings will not fix this problem.

10. markedagain

markedagain

Compositing is required for menu bars for the shadows it creates. But this does not solve my redraw of panels issue. I did notice when i run my game, the game window itself will render on workspace swap, but the other panels still requires mousing over to force a redraw. If i reload my i3 instance it also works fine to force a redraw, instead of mousing over.

11. hunabku94

hunabku94

First, unity seems only correctly refresh with a compositor on
    Second, it actualy works with XFWM (xfce compositor) and KWin (KDE/Plasma compositor) that i tested

12. sentropie

sentropie

ok cool, but we can’t use these compositors in another window manager like i3, bspwm, awesome, etc. … So it’s probably a bug in Unity’s side when it is not working with compton/xcompmgr.
    I hope they will fix it soon. I switched for developing to a freshly installed window, when it’s fixed I can switch back to my preferred GNU/Linux environment <3

13. javl

javl

Thank you r9shackleford!

For me (Debian Buster + openbox) installing xcompmgr and running it (without any arguments) before starting Unity seems to do the trick. Some new glitches have appeared (the `create` menu now has a lot of empty space at the top) but nothing major. Overal the UI works way better now.

edit: the only problem I'm having now is that I can't use the scrollwheel on my wireless mouse to zoom in the editor, even though the built-in trackpad works fine (and according to xev they are sending out the same signal).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:53 AM
  14. hunabku94

hunabku94

Sentropie, you're right, kwin and xfwm can only replace the windowmanager.

Thanks for the info javl !