Search Unity

Editor Only Objects

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cranky, Dec 5, 2014.

1. cranky

cranky

Hey guys, quick question:

Is there a way to have editor only objects? For example, I have a Cubemap Renderer object that will only ever be used in the editor. It has a camera on it, so it can't be in the game at run time. Disabling/enabling is a bit inconvenient, so I was hoping for an automated way of doing it. I figured either a DebugOnly behavior or maybe another way to use some sort of tag already included with Unity?

If I were to use a DebugOnly behavior, how could I make it not include it in the build? Perhaps and editor script?

Thanks, guys!

2. image28

image28

you could use something like this to disable the gameobject when in play mode
    Code (csharp):
    2. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    3. public class CurveGenerator : MonoBehaviour {
    5. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    6. void Update () {
    7. if(UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode) {
    8. this.enabled = false;
    9. } else {
    10. // editor code here!
    11. }
    12. }
    13. #endif
    15. }
    Got the code from this link http://blog.brendanvance.com/2014/0...y-script-execution-in-unity3d/comment-page-1/

Also remember to search the API reference http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ExecuteInEditMode.html

Maddieman likes this.
  3. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

I had a script like this. The problem with this script is that the object will still load just to be destroyed.
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class DebugOnly : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.   void Awake()
    6.   {
    7.     if (!Debug.isDebugBuild && Application.isPlaying)
    8.       Destroy(gameObject);
    9.   }
    10. }
    There is also the "EditorOnly" tag which should remove the object from actual builds, while still in the Unity Editor.

4. cranky

cranky

Thanks for the responses, guys. I figured an OnEnable function to disable the object during runtime would suffice as a last resort, but it would be nice to prevent the object from even making it into the build. I thought maybe a build preprocessor, but then how could I tell it to not include the object in the build at all?

The EditorOnly tag would not remove the entire GameObject from the build, if I am understanding it correctly. I am going to have quite a lot of objects in my hierarchy view at runtime, so minimal objects would be nice.

Thanks for the help! :)

EDIT: Sorry, it's a postprocessor actually: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Callbacks.PostProcessSceneAttribute.html

Would calling Destroy in that callback destroy it in the hierarchy permanently, or just in the build?

5. samizzo

samizzo

EditorOnly should remove the GameObject from the build.