Search Unity

Resolved Editor NativeArray<> not being disposed of immediately

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by kanomeister, Jan 24, 2022.

1. kanomeister

kanomeister

Hi all, I've dug through tons of threads here and there, but I couldn't seem to find the root of this!

I have an IJobParallelFor like so:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [BurstCompile]
    2.     internal struct FindInBetweenJob : IJobParallelFor
    3.     {
    4.         [ReadOnly] [DeallocateOnJobCompletion] public NativeArray<Vector3> verts;
    5.         [WriteOnly] public NativeArray<FindInBetween_BadVertex> isBad;
    7.         public void Execute(int i)
    8.         {...}
    9.     }
    where FindInBetween_BadVertex is a simple three-primitive struct, and I call into it like so -- all of this intending to occur during the same frame during a synchronous function call on an object:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     var isBad = new NativeArray<FindInBetween_BadVertex>(verts.Length, Allocator.TempJob);
    2.     var job = new FindInBetweenJob
    3.     {
    4.         isBad = isBad, verts = new NativeArray<Vector3>(verts, Allocator.TempJob)
    5.     };
    7.     var jobHandle = job.Schedule(verts.Length, 1);
    8.     jobHandle.Complete();
    9.     isBad.Dispose();
    10.     ...
    ... but how come the Editor still yells about the array not being disposed of? Is it because Unity is expecting me to use the array for longer than a frame when I'm not using the Temp allocator, and thus dispose of it later? From the Editor, I call into this using an Inspector button and ensure the function is called only once.

I know I am using the parallel-for incorrectly within a single frame, but I get considerable speed-up using the Burst compilation... so worst-case, I will just use a [BurstCompile] function and iterate as necessary using an Allocator.Temp, which should hopefully bypass this issue.

OH, and one more thing: the actual function call occurs synchronously on a clone of the object from the original object, before it then immediately marks itself to be destroyed (from Editor, a DestroyImmediate() call). I don't know if that might affect anything, but it is worth mentioning.

2. kanomeister

kanomeister

Scratch most of that, I'm just a silly programmer who forgot to do a check somewhere else along this really complicated pipeline. :p