Search Unity

Editor licensing when running in CI/CD environment

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Huszky, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Huszky

Huszky

When using unity pro and above how should licensing be handled in CI/CD environments?

We recently started using CI/CD with Azure Pipelines, and GitLab, and we paying for a separate unity Pro account which is used to authenticate with the Unity Editor using email, password and serial. On GitLab the builds are run on our own build server, using docker images made by game-ci . On Azure we use the Microsoft hosted agents, and unity is installed there every time via chocolatey on a windows image. After each build the licenses are returned with the Unity cli.

I have noticed, that in the ci-cd account the activations show up during the builds. The builds running on our own build server show up as the same activation, but the builds hosted on the azure agents always show up as different activations (the actual agent computer is rather random, sometimes located in the US, or the Netherlands or other). Also when the license is not returned (at first i have forgotten to do that as part of the build), we observed that license activation will fail because the account reached the maximum number of activations (which is expected).

So how should this be properly handled? I presume that if we only use our own build server (with local agents on both azure and gitlab) only one activation will show up, but if we want to use the Microsoft hosted agents on azure we will only be able to run 2 parallel builds with this account.

Also we don't want to use Unity Cloud builds, because usually we do other tasks as part of our ci-cd which makes using Unity Cloud build a non-options (SonarQube analysis, saving artifacts in azure/gitlab/nexus, post processing build outputs in separate steps like custom gradle builds on android)

2. dragosd_unity

dragosd_unity

Unity Technologies