Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mono Upgrade Editor is using Window's locale settings

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by Edy, Nov 25, 2016.

1. fherbst

fherbst

@bobdonovan are you still following this? It's very confusing to get official reply from you and then still seeing the broken behaviour.

Qbit86 likes this.
  2. newlife

newlife

That's weird cause this is not happening in any 2018.2 version, only in 2018.3.

3. Baste

Baste

upload_2019-3-13_20-43-58.png

Levus3d and Qbit86 like this.
  4. Levus3d

Levus3d

Still I have commas in 2018.3.8f1.

I'm working with uscript and visual studio and need to fix those commas manually after detecting syntax error in script.
    I'm not a programmer, I really don't know how to fix it permanently myself, need to fix by hand every float I'm using:/

5. Vencarii

Vencarii

6. bobdonovan

bobdonovan

Unity Technologies

Vencarii is right about this script ^^. Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, we did fix all issues involving serialization (in Animation and shader graph amongst others) bug 1065595,1073448 and 10789361 making sure all serialization code is always using 'CultureInfo.InvariantCulture'. The UI however is using the OS locale since .NET 4.6 went out of experimental and became the default .NET version.

Qbit86 and codestage like this.
  7. gresolio

gresolio

8. DrEvil

DrEvil

9. Martichoras

Martichoras

We have experienced the same problem with our udp-script, however it does not generate any error
    int.TryParse(text, out speed);
    simply does not give an output.

By using
    System.Globalization.NumberStyles.Number, CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.NumberFormat
    we have managed to get it to work in previous versions of unity (including 2017.2.0f3, 2018.1.0f2, 2018.2.0b9), but from Unity 2018.3 and forward
    TryParse()
    is not working with .Net 4x.. However, when rolling back to api compatability level 2.0, it works like a charm in 2018.3, but generate a lot of errors in 2019.1.

I get a feeling the problem we experience is related to the one mentioned in this post. We have tried @gresolio 's solution both in 2018 and 2019, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any solution to this?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void ReceiveData()
    2.     {
    4.         client = new UdpClient(port);
    5.         while (true)
    6.         {
    8.             try
    9.             {
    10.                 IPEndPoint anyIP = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0);
    11.                 byte[] data = client.Receive(ref anyIP);
    13.                 string text = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(data);
    15.                 int.TryParse(text, out speed); // ORIGINAL, USED TO WORK!
    17.                 //int.TryParse(text, System.Globalization.NumberStyles.Number, CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.NumberFormat, out speed);
    19.                 lastReceivedUDPPacket = text;
    20.                 allReceivedUDPPackets = allReceivedUDPPackets+text;
    22.             }
    23.             catch (Exception err)
    24.             {
    25.                 print(err.ToString());
    26.             }
    27.         }
    28.     }

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Could you please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

Alex-Thibodeau likes this.
  11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Just stumbled upon this bug, and it's pretty bad. Have the old OBJ exporter script broken, because it now prints commas into the file lol.
    Furthermore, the behaviour is inconsistent with my Windows settings. Even though my region is set to "Russia", I always make sure the system-wide decimal symbol is set to ".":

upload_2019-5-18_12-56-43.png

Unity doesn't seem to respect that.

12. Berno

Berno

Still broken in 2018.4.0f1 windows standalone runtime.
    My app has an editor and Input Fields with decimal places are broken when reading the values using float.parse in Germany and most likely other locales that use comma instead of decimal.
    Will this be back ported from 2019?

13. Edy

Edy

Still broken in Unity 2019.4.

14. MilenaRocha

MilenaRocha

2020.3.4f1 and it's still broken

15. Edy

Edy

Also in Unity 2021.3.20. I don't think Unity has any intention of correcting this.

As a reminder, including this script anywhere in the project fixes the issue:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Globalization;
    2. using System.Threading;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    6. [UnityEditor.InitializeOnLoad]
    7. public static class FixCultureEditor
    8. {
    9.     static FixCultureEditor()
    10.     {
    11.         Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
    12.     }
    13. }
    14. #endif
    17. public static class FixCultureRuntime
    18. {
    19.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    20.     static void FixCulture()
    21.     {
    22.         Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
    23.     }
    24. }

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  16. Alex-Thibodeau

Alex-Thibodeau

Unity Technologies

I'm happy to take a look at this if there's a bug already submitted. Anyone have a link handy to a bug number?

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  17. Baste

Baste

I don't think it's a bug on your side per se, I think it's more that the entire .NET ecosystem is broken with regards to culture settings, and you're going with the flow on that.

The tl;dr is that .NET uses the user's culture settings when formatting strings, if no formatting has been defined. Back before 2016 at some point, Mono on Windows used some invariant culture instead - either US English or actually Invariant, idk.

So the old default was that roundtripping worked, even if you did ToString on an Indian computer and did Parse on a German computer. You did, however, get the wrong format for display strings unless you specified the local culture.
    The new default is that roundtripping breaks unless you specify a specific culture, but you get the correct format for display strings.

As a programmer, this is utterly maddening, and Microsoft has 100% made the wrong design choice here, and everywhere else. As a user from a country that uses different decimal notation than the US one, I have never cared about the decimal notation ever, except when using Excel where the culture thing also breaks stuff.

So from most standpoints, the old Unity behaviour from before 2016 where the culture was invariant was superior to the current behaviour, and we have run into actual crashes on console when trying to update (very) old games to newer Unity versions due to this. Yeah, we should have used InvariantCulture, but we didn't know any better and just thought that the programming language doing the correct thing by default wasn't a bug!

I assume that there's no bug for you to fix as any bug is presumably marked as "By Design", and all the user-facing strings you are showing that have floating point data is using (afaik) invariant culture. Fixing this now would could also be bad with regards to having compatibility with the greater .NET ecosystem for future things like integrating with NuGet or whatever

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  18. Edy

Edy

Thank you! There are quite a few bug numbers above in this thread. However, they got marked as "resolved" without actually fixing the issue.

For example, I had submitted 930798. The issue was fixed it in the editor and marked as resolved, but the runtime (just printing out a float number) is still broken and uses the locale's decimal sign (comma in my case) instead of a dot. Other case numbers mentioned above fixed specific case usages (i.e. broken serialization due to using the locale culture instead of an invariant culture), but didn't addressed the root of the problem either.

Here's a quick repro:

1) Change the locale settings of your computer to something non-US, for example Spain.
    2) Create a blank, empty project in any of the latest Unity versions (tech, lts, alpha, beta, internal, etc).
    3) Create a new script that logs a float number to the console on Start:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     void Start()
    6.     {
    7.         float a = 1.234f;
    8.         Debug.Log($"Number: {a}");
    9.     }
    10. }
    4) Add that script to a GameObject and run the scene. This is printed to the console:

"Number: 1,234"

If you add
    float.Parse("1.234")
    to the code you get an exception on non-US cultures.

I may submit the above as a new bug if you want, but it's as simple as that. Also, I suspect the issue might be taken in deeper consideration if someone from the Unity staff submits it.

Everything could be fixed if Unity just establishes the Invariant Culture as default culture on startup, in both runtime and editor. That would provide a consistent and invariant behavior across all devices and cultures, just at it used to work at Unity <2016.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Spy-Master likes this.