Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor interface is glitching/shifting

Discussion in 'Linux' started by iamfeneq, Jun 24, 2019.

1. iamfeneq

iamfeneq

Hey there. Anyone else have this issue with the editor interface glitching and shifting about? It gets much worse when I actually try to resize or move panels. In the video I am only clicking in each panel and you can see the interface shift.

Edit:

Unity 2018.4.2f1 though it also happens on 2019.3.0a6 as well as 2019.1.8f1. Tried both OpenGL and Vulkan- same thing.

Edit 2: So I think I figured it out. I believe it's an issue with Elementary OS or more specifically, the Pantheon desktop environment. I installed a new desktop environment and this problem went away. Kind of unfortunate though, I was starting to get used to Pantheon.

Edit 3: Maybe not. With KDE the interface was working normally. In GNOME I'm having the same issues as with Pantheon.

Edit4: I'm noticing on certain desktop environments that the top bar (where the play, pause and stop buttons are located) and the bottom bar (where it shows when scripts are compiling) are missing. If either of those bars are missing, my interface shifts about. On KDE/Plasma both of those bars are there.

•••••••••••

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try Window/Layouts/Revert Factory settings. Doing this will reset all the layouts to the default; you'll have to recreate your layouts.

3. iamfeneq

iamfeneq

No luck. Thanks though.

Edit: So I think I figured it out. I believe it's an issue with Elementary OS or more specifically, the Pantheon desktop environment. I installed a new desktop environment and this problem went away. Kind of unfortunate though, I was starting to get used to Pantheon.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. souldzin

souldzin

5. iamfeneq

iamfeneq

Yes. I was having 0 issues with KDE on Elementary and Budgie on Solus. Pantheon and GNOME on Elementary were having issues.

6. hunabku94

hunabku94

Same for me no problems with KDE only

7. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

Same problem on Ubuntu with GNOME, and the window even can not be moved.

8. tarator85

tarator85

Same problem here on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04. The Window decoration is missing.

9. Kruemelchen

Kruemelchen

I've got the same problems, @iamfeneq described. I'm also using Elementary OS. UI glitches with Unity 2019.2.2f1 and 2019.3 Beta.

Any updates on this?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

11. MostHated

MostHated

Just throwing it out there that I have the issue on Ubuntu, and unfortunately it is the same in 2019.1, 2019.2 and 2019.3b. I just double click the title bar to maxamize, then do it again to restore, then once more to maximize and then it's ok until I close and reopen.

I start unity from console and get these errors in the console output.

Code (CSharp):
    2. (Unity:17482): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:04:27.864: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    4. (Unity:17482): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:04:27.864: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    6. (Unity:17482): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:04:27.865: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    8. (Unity:17482): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:04:28.887: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkFixed to a container of type GtkWindow, but the widget is already inside a container of type GtkViewport, please remove the widget from its existing container first.
    9. [0830/190435:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(161)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
    10. [0830/190435:ERROR:nss_util.cc(856)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018

12. Starbox

Starbox

Hi, bit late to the party but I recently moved from Unity 2017.4 to Unity 2019.2 on an old Mac mini, and I'm now having those crazy glitches, most of them in Game, more occasionally in Scene. I thought there were related to the app but they affect the Game window's top bar and even tab area too. There even was one frame I caught on my phone (I was filming my app at runtime to catch a few of them) that had some elements of my UI be displaced and displayed in the wrong area of the Game window, with a different scale too.
    I hope none of this will end in the build...

13. Starbox

Starbox

Editor interface graphical glitches
    For Windows users, there may be a solution. For Apple users... none I know of.
    Huh, I didn't notice this was in the Linux section. Sorry.

14. ccegeadamcc

ccegeadamcc

Same in Elementary OS. I was going to blame Elementary for being not compatible, but this glitch didn't happens at Unity version 2017~. My only reason for using windows, is Unity. I'm very grateful to all Unity Linux Dev Team but as I said Unity have UI glitches since 2017, 2 years, please fix them. Here some Editor.log for help: https://pastebin.com/Yjkm1duW

Edit: here a workaround (thanks to @poke1024 and @GenaSG )
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge GTK_CSD=0 /path/to/Unity/Editor/Unity./Unity -projectPath /path/to/Project/File/Root

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    PixelJ likes this.
  15. tarator85

tarator85

Same problem here. I'm using Ubuntu Budgie. Somehow I can't manage to bring up Unity IDE in non-fullscreen-mode whiich would fix the issue.
    This is pretty annoying tbh.

16. MostHated

MostHated

Double clicking the title bar should restore Unity from maximize mode, does it not?

I gave this a try, but it didn't seem to do anything for me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  17. Kasarch

Kasarch

Code (CSharp):
    1. GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge GTK_CSD=0 /path/to/Unity/Editor/Unity./Unity -projectPath /path/to/Project/File/Root
    For elementaryOS 5.1.4 this doesn't work cause "pantheon-filechooser-module" module settings moved to GTK3_MODULES variable, so you need update launch command like this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GTK3_MODULES="" GTK_CSD=0 /path/to/Unity/Editor/Unity./Unity -projectPath /path/to/Project/File/Root

mrcmrcmrc likes this.
  18. NiirB

NiirB

Hi, very much a Linux newbie here so sorry if this is something very obvious. I'm also on elementary 5.1.4 and when trying to run this commadn in the terminal with unity 2018 LTS I get an error saying that the path I'm providing does not exist.

I get either:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bash: /home/brin/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.4.22f1/Editor./Unity: No such file or directory
    or
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /home/brin/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.4.22f1/Editor/Unity: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I adjusted my path to be like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GTK3_MODULES="" GTK_CSD=0 /home/brin/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.4.22f1/Editor./Unity -projectPath /media/brin/Stuff/Programming/1. Study/UnityLinux
    3. or
    5. GTK3_MODULES="" GTK_CSD=0 /home/brin/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.4.22f1/Editor/Unity -projectPath /media/brin/Stuff/Programming/1. Study/UnityLinux
    Would you be so kind to explain to me what I screwed up here please? Thanks in advance - elementary is great but I'd really like to work in unity and with this bug it's practically forcing me to boot windows whenever I wanna use it.

Edit: This does NOT happen in 2017 LTS.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  19. pozharskiy

pozharskiy

First you set the option "Download previous project" in the settings, this disable start UnityHub.
    Then run through the terminal the command "env GTK_CSD = 0 /path/to/Unity/Editor/Unity",
    Checked for elementary OS 5.1.4 Hera

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    NiirB likes this.
  20. Kaneda0

Kaneda0

Thanks