Search Unity

Editor input/focus issues 2018.3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JooleanLogic, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I'm having a lot of window focusing issues in the Editor.
    E.g. If I click the Add Component button in the Inspector, the focus does not automatically go to the search text box.
    When I open the Package Manager or Tile Palette windows, I can't click on any items until I press a keyboard key first. Happens most times but not every time.

Mouse movement in the Project or Tile Palette windows causes mouse movement events in the scene and Hierarchy windows. I.e. items in those windows become highlighted as if being moused over.
    It's as if the mouse event and relative position for the active window is being passed to all windows.

I haven't been able to right click drag for days and just realised it's because it's stuck on the hand tool. Even if I click on the Rect tool, it jumps straight back to the hand tool. I just managed to get off this tool I think by pressing a key on the keyboard again.

I'm on 2018.3.0f2 with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
    I just installed this same version in Windows and don't have any of these issues.
    Also don't have these issues in 2018.2.

2. bukvva

bukvva

Me too.

Unable to test project in Game View due to keyboard focus trouble. It works once when mouse clicked within Game View and then lost focus again. Defocused Add Component search text box also annoying.

Ubuntu 18.04

3. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

The Add Component focus issue and the right-click drag sounds like alt-tab issue are fixed internally. I'll look into the others.

senkal_ likes this.
  4. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I just installed latest 2018.3.1 and the add component focus issue is still there.
    If this is fixed internally, what release is this likely to show up in?

5. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

It will be in the 2019.1 release.

senkal_ likes this.
  6. synpro3

synpro3

I am experiencing all of the mentioned window focusing issues as well. I currently have 2019.1.4f1 installed. I am running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS with the gnome3 environment.

For me the largest annoyances is the lack of auto-focus on all search boxes (e.g. the add component search), as well as general focusing issues that make it hard to work with certain tools such as tilesets. Unity gets into states where I am not sure what is currently focused and I have troubles making it focus on a particular window.

7. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

That particular issue was fixed in 2019.2. I don't know if it'll ever be backported as it was fixed several releases ago already.

2019.2 and onwards have fixed several of the most painful gui issues (ones that hinder productivity) but there's still issues even in the latest 2019.3.
    Moving mouse in some windows like Tile Palette causes mouse move events in main scene window.
    Clicking items in Project window soft selects items in the Hierarchy window.
    Still pretty messy/fragile dragging windows around as well.

It's overall much better than 2019.1 though.

8. synpro3

synpro3

Thanks jooleanlogic I installed the 2019.2 beta and many of the window bugs went a way, including the focusing issues mentioned in this thread! Hopefully this will help others out as well.