Search Unity

Editor hitching frequently (profiler screenshot included)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by VicarOfFlick, Dec 12, 2020.

1. VicarOfFlick

VicarOfFlick

Hi all,

I've been having some very annoying stuttering while in the editor. It stutters for about 1/10th of a second every couple of seconds. It happens regardless of what I'm doing at the time. I could simply be hovering over game objects in the hierarchy and it'll still stutter. I checked the profiler to try to figure it out, but I'm not sure what to do with the information. Any help deciphering it would be appreciated.

I'm including a link and uploading a screenshot of the profiler.

https://i.imgur.com/gTbMPpp.png

Attached Files:

2. Madgvox

Madgvox

Have you tried restarting the editor?

3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

You have near constant 38KB of managed Allocations ("GC.Alloc" in he cpu profiler) per frame. That results in the garbage collector having to run every couple seconds to clear up all these allocations which are likely very short lived. Try turning on "Call Stacks" and check the manual section on that function. that should help track those down and find a solution to it.
    My guess is you have some Editor extension, maybe hooked up to scene view update that's causing them. It looks like some 20KB are allocated within GUI.CallWinowDelegate and SceneView.OnGUI.repaint.

4. VicarOfFlick

VicarOfFlick

Hey @MartinTilo Thanks for the help. Knowing how to find the call stack in the profiler is exactly what I needed. It looks like it's being caused by the Aura 2 package I'm using for volumetric fog. I'll see if I can disable it in the editor and if not I'm just gonna get rid of it and look for an alternative.

MartinTilo likes this.