Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [Editor][HDRP] Memory leak when navigating in scene view (1211183)

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by FritzsHero, Jan 14, 2020.

1. FritzsHero

FritzsHero

## 1. What happened

Editor will use all available Memory, when you navigate through the scene.
    (Memory leak when navigating)

Expected: Memory should not fill your 16 GB RAM with just the test project. Unity should stay at a small memory usage of up to 2 GB (for the small HDRP-template)

System: Windows 10 (1809) x64

## 2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached

1. Start the Project (Or create one with High-Definition Template).
    2. Start Task manager and put it somewhere, like on a second monitor.
    3. Navigate through the scene with your mouse (holding right-mouse button and looking around) or moving around in the scene.
    4. You will see memory usage building up inside the Task-Manager, while navigating inside the scene view.

Reproducable with: (HighDefinition RenderPipeline 7.1.6 and 7.1.7) 2019.3.0.f3 / 2019.3.0f4 / 2019.3.0f5
    Not Reproducable with: (Built-in RenderPipeline) 2019.3.0f4

Best Regards

Fritzs

// Notes:
    // Case 1211183
    // Is also reproducable with Windows 7 x64 (But takes a lot longer to fill memory)

konsic likes this.
  2. FritzsHero

FritzsHero

3. FritzsHero

FritzsHero

Resetting the Editor Layout to Default does not fix my problem. (As suggested by Unity from the bug report)
    The problem still persists and memory usage only drops when toggling Scene lighting (maybe triggers GC) or closing the project.

Problem only occurs when scene lighting is toggled off.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. DeathRace26

DeathRace26

Bump

Even after 3+ months unity wasn't able to fix THIS EXACT memory leak issue regarding the HDRP!!
    The description of this thread fits my scenario. After moving through my scene, memory usage rises and it doesnt stop, until whole editor crashes. This makes bigger open world projects impossible to make. Decreasing texture resolution and decal atlas resolution only delays this problem from happening. Please, read these threads. I'm struggling with this for a long time, no matter what i do, i can't fix it.

Using 2019.10f1
    HDRP 7.3.1.
    with volume using Physically based sky
    DirectX11

Win7 64X SP1

5. DeathRace26

DeathRace26

Just one question to OP, do you happen to use physical sky? I believe that is the source of your issues :) Try swapping it out with procedural.

6. misticalages

misticalages

Same here, memory usage rises and it doesnt stop, until whole editor crashes, same as Unreal does.

Why does Unity needs to adapt to such stuff?