Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor hangs on start, spins forever on compile

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by thegreatzebadiah, Mar 11, 2016.

1. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Windows 7 64bit Unity 5.4.03b

Whenever I first start Unity it hangs for minutes. Task manager shows that it is slowly allocating more and more memory. Eventually it starts working again but it's really annoying. I checked the editor logs but it doesn't show anything taking a long time.

What's worse is that occasionally after I change some code and switch back to Unity it never finishes compiling. The little spinner in the bottom right just goes forever. Luckily the editor doesn't lock up but I can't run or do anything else useful so it's kind of pointless.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

[Edit] Possibly hitting ctr-b to open the built settings window and then closing it fixes the forever compiling issue?! How strange

2. Jackalus

Jackalus

I had this problem when Realtime GI was on with too high settings or when Baked GI had too big texel count. (Allocating 32GB RAM + 32GB Swap LOL). Tinker with GI settings, for example put Realtime GI to 0.01 and Baked GI Texel count to 40 from 50 etc.

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Maybe try beta 9 as beta 3 pretty outdated now!

4. Jackalus

Jackalus

I had this problem in beta 9 myself.

5. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Thanks for the responses. I can't move to beta 9 yet for reasons. I tried disabling everything to do with GI as I don't use it at all but the problem persists. It's not such a big issue for me now that I know the trick of opening the build settings in order to get it to unhang when compiling. Maybe this thread will help someone else if they run across this weird behavior.

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Could we get a bug report with a repro project if possible? Please share the bug report number once you get the #. Thanks!