Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Editor freezes when saving scene

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PudgePacket, May 17, 2023.

1. PudgePacket

PudgePacket

When saving the scene in Unity 2022.2.17 (apple silicon) on m1 pro macOS 13.3.1(a) the Unity Editor freezes relatively frequently (every 30~ minutes). Unfortunately because it's a freeze and not a "crash" there is no Unity bug report window I can fill out.

When I force quit the frozen editor after a few minutes the Mac crash reporter window gives me some information. I don't really know what to do with it, and it's super long with hundreds of pages of stack traces etc.

It does mention the Unity Hub though
    Responsible: Unity Hub [76301] [unique pid 374398]
    , but I don't know what that means.

Short snippet of crash reporter output:

2. PudgePacket

PudgePacket

I tried moving up to 2022.2.19 but it didn't help unfortunately.

It seems when I save the scene the changes are saved because when I relaunch all my changes exist, some somehow it's happening near the end/after the actual data on disk part. The UI never updates to reflect though, the asterisk is still shown next to the scene name above the hierarchy window.

3. Bean_Office

Bean_Office

I have found a solution. It might be too late though. This is a bug present only on MacOS, if you have VSync enabled in game view the editor pretty consistanly crashes when:
    - Saving scene
    - Reloading script
    - Entering/exiting play mode

To avoid crashes start play mode, turn on vsync, play test, turn off vsync and stop play mode. I hope this helps!