Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(Case 1140437) Random editor freezes

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The editor freezes every now and then here. I can minimize and restore the editor window, but no UI element in the editor is responsive. The only option is to kill it via Windows Task Manager.

I believe, it's somehow related to focusing a text element. It seems every time the editor freezes, some text field was highlighted.

Earlier I noticed this when I accidentally pressed an asset in the project window twice and it started to display the "rename" text field. Editor froze.

Just now, the editor froze when I clicked in an integer text field.

I'm unable to reproduce this issue on purpose though. Tried it for a couple of minutes, monkey-clicking every text field in reach, but the editor didn't freeze.

What can I do to provide useful data for this freeze to you? Do you want me to capture a VS minidump while the editor froze?

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

A VS minidump would be appreciated.
    Submitting a bug report with the editor.log file after an editor session where a freeze occured might also help since we log % of time spent in some areas like networking or CEF.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I guess better late than never :)
    (Case 1140437) 2019.1: Random editor freezes

I'm asking for a password protected owncloud location in the ticket, where I can upload the 3 GB VS minidump I just captured.

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I've uploaded the VS mini-dump as well as the editor.log file that I captured while the editor was frozen. You can find the files in Case 1140437. Hopefully it provides some insight in what's going on.

I can imagine it being another threading issue, because these were the cause why Unity froze quite often in more recent builds (with my ancient PC).

Perhaps @JakeTurner, who fixed many of the freezes I reported earlier, wants to take a look at the mini-dump if it's a similar issue?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  5. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Looking at the dump from a high level everything is running correctly on the threads. There is no obvious deadlock here.
    I think it would need to be reproduced live to see what is going wrong.

6. DuvE

DuvE

I have these editor freezes too, especially when anything is selected in a scene, the editor starts to work extremely slow, like 5-10 FPS.

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report with a reproduction project?

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's too bad. What do you suggest I could do to provide useful data to figure out why Unity isn't responding anymore?

9. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Can you enable editor profiling and do a screenshot of the profiler window after one of the pauses or perhaps see if you can save the profile data. The profiler might include some clues about what is stalling

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

That sounds like a separate issue. Could you please submit a bug report with reproduction steps and a minimal reproduction project?

11. DuvE

DuvE

Yes, I will create a bug report soon. These FRP drops happens in HDRP and when Shadows set to "High". Looks like this is shadows related issue mostly or just my GPU. But while in the editor I have these 5-10 FPS when selecting and moving some objects that cast "High" shadows, when I press "Play" I have stable 90-100 FPS in the same scene.

EDIT: No, it's not the shadows, even in Deferred on Low shadows, when something is selected in Hierarchy, it starts lagging.

EDIT2: Submitted a report, here are some screenshots from the profiler. All I do is just selecting and deselecting disabled Particle System. So FPS drops present even when selecting disabled game objects. http://prntscr.com/n7psds http://prntscr.com/n7psgm http://prntscr.com/n7psmt

EDIT3: If I change the material of a Particle System to unlit one or even no material, FPS no longer drops when PS is selected.

EDIT4: Even when I'm selecting any HDRP lit material, the FPS drops appears again.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    LeonhardP likes this.