Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor Freeze - Cause [Package Manager]

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Grimreaper358, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

At first, I couldn't find what the cause was but now I know it's the Package Manager. I had an editor layout saved that had the Package Manager as a tab and whenever I open the editor it just froze.

After opening/upgrading another project from the alpha version that didn't have the package manager window open/docked it ran fine, but as soon as I opened the package Manager it froze. I opened the project multiple times and each time I open the Package Manager (or had it docked somewhere in the layout) it would freeze so I'm pretty sure it's the Package Manager.

This happened as well in the alpha but I couldn't figure out the caused then. I could use the package manager in the alpha fine for some projects while others would freeze as soon as I opened them. So I didn't know this would be the cause at the time. In 2019.1 b1 every project I upgrade and open the Package Manager (or had it open and docked before upgrading) freezes the editor. New projects created in 2019.1 b1 don't have this problem. I can open the Package Manager fine as well as dock it and after reopening the editor it doesn't freeze.

The editor only froze if I had a layout (made in 2018.3) with the Project Settings and or Preferences tabs docked in the layout and update. ( It only froze when I switched to those tabs though) So I had to delete the library and open the project again and switched to factory defaults (For the Layout) when the dialog option appears while the project is reopening. If I didn't switch to those tabs, everything worked fine. After upgrading other projects I just had to right click and close those tabs (not selecting/switching) then reopen them and they worked fine.

Case number - 1124696

I dont have this problem in 2019.2 a4 so far. I checked with a few projects that followed this update chain
    2018.3 -> 2019.1 b1 -> 2019.1 b2 -> 2019.2 a4.
    The issue only occurs in both 2019.1 versions.

hippocoder, Djayp and LeonhardP like this.
  2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

+1 same issue with 2019 beta

3. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Thank you for reporting @Grimreaper358,

Can you post the contents of your project "manifest,json" file in this thread? Unity stores each project manifest in the [your_project_root_folder]/Packages/manifest.json file.

Thanks kindly,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

@pedro_unity When you asked for the manifest file I remembered that I have the staging registry in pretty much all of my older projects except the new ones I created. Went in a removed the staging registry from an older project's manifest, load it up, and the package manager doesn't freeze the editor anymore. Checked with a few more projects and it still didn't freeze. I still included the manifest file but that seemed to be the problem. Totally forgot about that.

Attached Files:

5. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Thanks @Grimreaper358,

Great, that's what I thought. We have discovered this issue internally and are currently verifying the fix. We will make it available as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

Rallix and Grimreaper358 like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks - will remove staging for now.

7. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Grimreaper358 likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks.

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a fix. It will be in 2019.2.0a7 and is on its way to 2019.1 as well. Could land as early as b6.

Rallix, hippocoder and Grimreaper358 like this.