Search Unity

Editor framerate oddity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HarvesteR, Jan 11, 2018.

1. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Hi,

This is more of a mild nuisance than an actual issue, but I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone's seen this too and knows of a way to get around it.

Basically, the issue is that every now and then, I notice that my project will run at a really low framerate in the editor's game window. When that happens, I found that minimizing unity and bringing it back up again cures the problem and the game then runs at the proper FPS again.

Has anyone seen anything like that? If so, is there any idea on what could be the cause of it and how to avoid the (admittedly very mild) chore of having to minimize and reopen?

It's not that I'm so opposed to the idea of having to minimize. Actually, it was very fact that this issue has such a simple workaround that made me curious about what could be going on.

I suspect it could be somehow related to vsync and GPU memory, but that's all I got.

Cheers

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

There have been a lot of weird editor gpu performance issues lately. In many cases, users had some sort of screen overlay active, such as a FPS display. Do you have such overlay active?

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Which Unity version?

4. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

I'm on 2017.3 now, but I've seen this issue on all versions pretty much as far as I can remember.

As for overlays, I don't have anything that draws on top of unity.

I have noticed though that sometimes the framerate will vary depending on which editor windows I have up or focused, although that might be entirely unrelated.

Cheers

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Perhaps it's the CPU throttling or some other thing. I can't possibly guess...

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I noticed the same thing, pretty much since day one I started working Unity. For example, if an object is shown in the Inspector with a lot of Components / Properties, the editors performance often drops quite a bit. I never considered this as a bug though, it's just "stuff" that the editor has to do and draw, which costs some time.