Search Unity

[Editor Extensions] Simple Log Filter - Search, Tag Color debug log easily

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ciela_spike, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ciela_spike

ciela_spike

Hi, I'm a Unity beginner and this is my first released content on Asset Store.
    • It's a better Unity console window.
    • You can search all console output quickly like you search in project view.
    • You can tag and color log entries in order to make them easier to recognize.
    • It has a clear call stack for every log entry and you can open code file for each method.
    • It preserve all features of the original Unity console window.
    • No additional coding, all you need is the standard Debug.Log.
    Here is a quick look:

$sh2.png

$sh1.png

Check it on Asset Store.

It will be great to hear your feedback : )

Thank you.

Braza likes this.
  2. Braza

Braza

Hi!
    Awesome tool. Found it with google but couldnt find in Asset store searching "logger" though. One thing to consider... Bought it

3. GameKit

GameKit

First off, I would like to say thank you!

This is an excellent tool. Everyone on my team has purchased Live Console and are very happy with the product. The interface is clean, fast, and easy to use. I would recommend this to anyone who wants the ability to search through their logs, jump to a specific line in the call stack, or tag and filter their console output.

Live Console has already streamlined how I debug my code, but I do have a few feature requests if you are looking for ways to improve this already awesome product.

#1 - Ignoring specific files in the stack
    This isn't a problem with Live Console, but a general Unity problem that I think Live Console would be able to solve. We have our own logging class that wraps Unity's standard Debug.Log methods. Mostly this allows us to perform some platform specific functionality and add our own custom log types. Unfortunately this makes it so the top call in the stack no longer points to the line where we are firing off our error. Now double-clicking the log entry opens up the file containing our custom logging class instead of where we want to go.

Thankfully with your tool, we can just scroll down a couple entries and click the stack directly, but the ability to double-click and be taken where we wanted would be great. Ideally if we could specify the filename(s) we don't care to see and have Live Console parse it out of the stack it displays, that would be grand!

#2 - Custom hook Tag and TagColor starting condition recognition
    I've been playing around with the custom console hook interface you provided (thank you by the way) and am writing my own custom hook to (among other things) tag the log with the file name it originated from. This was easy enough to do, but when the developers on my team write their own tags (Using the Debug.Log("[CoolTag] Message")) format, my hook overrides their tag.

It would be nice to know in the OnTaggingLogEntry method if a Tag and/or TagColor already has a value without resorting to parsing the message string myself.

#3 - Logging without invoking StackTrace
    As you know, every time someone calls Debug.Log, Debug.LogWarning, or Debug.LogError Unity performs a stack trace. This is of course invaluable when tracking down warnings and errors, but is often unnecessary for informational logs. It's generally recommended to make as few Debug.Log calls as possible because of the performance overhead, but sometimes outputting lots of logs is simply the most convenient way of tracking down an issue.

It would be nice if Live Console had a static method that could be called that would output a message directly to Live Console without invoking all the baggage that comes with a Debug.Log call.

#4 - Resizing Message and Stack Trace UI
    This is just a minor annoyance, but when I close and re-open Unity, Live Console doesn't save the size and position of the Message and Stack Trace sub-panels and I have to click and drag them back into the desired position.

Once again, thank you for developing this time-saving tool. With or without the changes above I will continue to recommend Live Console to my developer friends and keep an eye out for any other products you release.

4. brettj

brettj

With Unity 5.4, I'm getting this error:

get_unityVersion is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'LogFilterWindow'.See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.