Search Unity

Third Party [EDITOR EXTENSION] ParrelSync: Test multiplayer without building(uEcho replacement)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by The314pies, Sep 4, 2020.

1. The314pies

The314pies

ParrelSync is a Unity editor extension that allows users to test multiplayer gameplay without building the project by having multiple editor windows opened and mirrored the changes from the original project.

We've been using this for months since uEcho isn’t working with Unity 2019 anymore, and I feel it is safe to share it as a replacement now. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have encountered any problem or want any new feature to be added :)

Test project changes on clients and server within seconds - both in editor

GitHub Home Page: https://github.com/VeriorPies/ParrelSync

Features
    1. Test multiplayer gameplay without building the project
    2. GUI tools for managing all project clones
    3. Protected assets from being modified by other clone instances
    4. Handy APIs to speed up testing workflows

Installation
    1. Backup your project folder or use a version control system such as Git or SVN

2. Download .unitypackage from the latest release and import it to your project.

3. Parrel Sync should appreared in the menu item bar after imported
    Check out the Installation-and-Update page for more details.

Supported Platform
    Currently, ParrelSync only supports Windows editor.

Please create a feature request if you want Mac/Linux support to be added.

ParrelSync has been tested with the following Unity version. However, it should also work with other versions as well.

• 2019.3.0f6

• 2018.4.22f1

APIs

There's some useful APIs for speeding up the multiplayer testing workflow. Here's a basic example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (ClonesManager.IsClone()) {
    3.   // Automatically connect to local host if this is the clone editor
    5. }else{
    7.   // Automatically start server if this is the original editor
    9. }
    Check out the doc to view the complete API list.

Discord Server
    We have a Discord server.

Need Help?
    Some common questions and troubleshooting can be found under the Troubleshooting & FAQs page.

You can also create a question post, comment under the Unity forum thread, or ask on Discord if you prefer to have a real-time conversation.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    ckocank, NotaNaN, myanko and 9 others like this.
  2. ultflood

ultflood

Long time Unity user, first time poster, just to say thank you for this extension. I've been working in Mirror multiplayer for months without a solution such as this, and it's desperately needed. Thank you again!

AlterMannn and The314pies like this.
  3. Oljoipter

Oljoipter

This needs way higher visibility. Build times with il2cpp are prohibitive so you really need these assets.

4. jiexdrop

jiexdrop

Is it possible to have the same layers in the original project and the clone ? I'm having trouble with that.

Thank you because this is saving me a lot of time :)

5. Rocky_Unity

Rocky_Unity

I found this because of a youtube series by "Shrine_Wars"
    Thank you for making this! It's incredible.

Menyus777 likes this.
  6. Menyus777

Menyus777

Extremely usefull addon, thanks for my saved times

7. HYDROBEEF

HYDROBEEF

<3 <3 <3 <3

8. renzo12345671

renzo12345671

Hi I have a question, can I alternately control the two instance of the parrelsync, for example I want to control player one then after that control player two. something like that

9. alti

alti

does NOT work in 2021.3.4 for me. Sigh. Keeps telling me "unity parrelsync asset modifications saving detected and blocked". Everything is pink and all my vfx graphs are lying, telling me they don't see variables that are clearly there. I'm not going to pretend-fix these references one by one. I disabled edit > preferences > asset pipeline > directory monitoring and there was no difference from when it was true. Just very annoyed with game design at this point. I'm on an LTS version and have a broken project thanks to it. Just overly frustrating.

10. LoneDev6

LoneDev6

Why didn't you make a backup?

Eralven, TibiTibith and jwyse like this.
  11. strykerwildfire_unity

strykerwildfire_unity

How come this never made it to the Unity Asset Store?

MonteJaran likes this.
  12. TelloSoft

TelloSoft

I can't sign in with different firebase user accounts on clones, firebase is remembering the authentication somewhere, which is not cloned

13. b4guw1x

b4guw1x

I can't thank you enought. Without you, multiplayer game development would be 100000 times harder. Thank you!

14. nesamani

nesamani

I am having the same issue

15. nmckean

nmckean

I have installed ParallelSync and it works fine, except I have a key question. I have been trying to add PushMessages (not PushNotifications) and have followed the guidance but they don't seem to be being received. Before I go too crazy with Debugging, I was curious if they may not be received due to ParallelSync - in as much as the message is sent to the opponent when a player makes a move, so at the time the message is sent, the Opponent window isn't the active Window as we are still in the Player Window.

Does this have any effect? Is there a way to have two windows concurrently focussed in Unity and ParallelSync?