Search Unity

Editor DPI Scaling Issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kybernetik, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

In recent Unity versions the Editor interface has looked really bad for me.
    • The issues occur in Unity 2018.3 and 2019.1 (possibly 2018.2 but I don't have it anymore). Everything was fine in earlier versions.
    • Windows 10
    • 15 inch 1920x1080 monitor
    • 125% scaling in Windows display settings
    Firstly the Game view locks the minimum scale at 1.25x instead of 1x so everything looks terrible:
    upload_2019-6-5_18-11-51.png

This can be solved by disabling "Low Resolution Aspect Ratios" and then zooming out, but that has to be done again every time I open the editor. I don't understand why a) that's the default, and b) the setting isn't remembered like everything else.

That fixes it to look like this:
    upload_2019-6-5_18-15-5.png

There are also lots of things in the Inspector that look slightly off such as the text on the dropdown menus being too low or the border around their arrows on the right being different to the rest of the border.

upload_2019-6-5_18-8-7.png

If I go into the shortcut's properties, to the Compatability tab, I can set it to "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and everything looks good again ... until I open Visual Studio which now gets blurry text whenever I open it from that Unity version:
    upload_2019-6-5_18-21-34.png
    But it's fine if I open Visual Studio from outside of Unity:
    upload_2019-6-5_18-27-30.png

Is there anything that can be done about these issues?

2. jankovalsky

jankovalsky

Have you tried 150% scaling in windows?

Also check if Visual Studio is not zooming (which will alias the fonts): should be "100%" in bottom left corner selectbox.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

The inspector looks a bit better, but still not quite right, and the Game view now can't go under 1.5x scale without disabling "Low Resolution Aspect Ratios". I just checked it again in 2019.1 and found that the setting is actually saved so it's not so much of an issue there. But everything is now larger than necessary (both in Unity and the rest of Windows).

I made sure VS was at 100% zoom.

4. Rafael_CS

Rafael_CS

Yeah... i stay into unity 2018.1 because of this annoying feature that makes everything gigant in full hd 15 inch notebooks...

Why unity dont add an option to make us control the DPI multiplier in editor?...