Search Unity

Editor Creates Buzzing Sound?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tbg10101_, Apr 26, 2017.

1. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

This is going to sound like I am off my rocker but whenever the Unity editor renders, my speakers make a buzzing noise.

Video evidence (sorry for the bad camera work):

The sound is continuous when a game is playing in the editor.

The buzzing on the speakers still happens when the default audio output is switched to another device.

I haven't noticed this issue with any other game, or even a game I made with Unity 5.5.

This is version 5.6.0p2. The project is a VR game.

Any idea what this could be?

MaxLohMusic likes this.
  2. Torches

Torches

Have you found a fix for this issue? I have the same exact issue when moving around in the editor and in game. It changes pitch and frequency with changes in FPS. I don't believe it to be a hardware issue as this happens only in unity and in a compiled game played on other computers at other locations.

MaxLohMusic likes this.
  3. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

I don't experience this issue any more.

4. Naxionman1978

Naxionman1978

Well, it's been almost a year since you wrote those lines above mine, and I'd like to add that I have the same issue, too. Have you found any solution? If I find anything I will let you know.

MaxLohMusic likes this.
  5. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

It just stopped happening after a while. I don't know if it was because of a driver change or maybe my hardware.

6. HeavyMind

HeavyMind

I am experiencing this problem too, and nowhere outside of Unity do I experience this noise (both in the game and editor). However, through some troubleshooting I've found the source of the problem. My USB audio interface, which is an Alesis io2. If I select the sound output to be my integrated audio and use headphones, the problem is non existent. If I choose to use the nvidia audio source in my monitor, again no issue. Once I select the io2, I get the exact same problem the OP had. It's a little counter intuitive, because the noise only emits when input is made in Unity, by clicking or dragging etc. If no input is made, there is no noise. Disconnecting and reconnecting the audio interface seemed to improve things by reducing the noise. (not entirely eliminate it) The io2 has been discontinued so I doubt I'll find any sort of driver fix for it. You might be in a different boat though. Cheers!

7. HoeskyNator

HoeskyNator

I have this so bad, even when I 'mute' windows and stuff . . .
    I would really like to find a solid solution ;-;

8. Zorkind

Zorkind

I have this when i run a game :( in Unity 2020, in Unity 2018 it does not happen.

Also if i build the game and executes, the sound is not there anymore.

I tried disabling sound everywhere possible inside unity, it makes no difference. :(

9. Biliogadafr

Biliogadafr

For anyone still looking for solution... I also had the same issue on my laptop. For me the reason was "coil whine". When editor is not touched it updates viewports at 30 fps. But during viewport navigation it refreshes as fast is it can, for me it was 300 fps. 300 fps puts significant load on my GPU and I hear buzzing sound. But if scene is heavy enough and unity is not able to produce high fps then everything works quieter. Solution was to limit max FPS in nvidia driver for unity.exe. I set it to 90 fps.

10. Zorkind

Zorkind

Can confirm, this works o/

Thanks bruh o/

Ony likes this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just want to point out that GPU coil whine isn't a Unity problem, it is a hardware issue. You often see the issue in Unity because relatively simple scenes typically allow for maximum frame rates your hardware is capable of, while complete games will have a lot more in them to lower frame rates.

MidnightSkyGD likes this.
  12. JackBuilt

JackBuilt

I never would have thought of doing this but it fixed the issue for me. Thanks for posting it.

13. Baydogan

Baydogan

Turn VSync On. On Game Window

Screenshot at Feb 25 04-43-13.png

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  14. ujz

ujz

Just FYI for anyone doing this, you need to restart Unity after limiting max FPS.

15. zuikakugaming

zuikakugaming

16. Baydogan

Baydogan

You are welcome.

17. J100cky

J100cky