Search Unity

Editor Crash in 5.3.0 when Targeting Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by docjaq-reach, Dec 9, 2015.

1. docjaq-reach

docjaq-reach

Switching from 5.2.3p2 to 5.3.0 today, the editor now locks up completely in some scenes when targeting Android. Removing things from the scene seems to reduce the regularity of crashes, but I can't seem to stop them. Switching the target to other platforms stops the issue, but that's not very useful when trying to build for Android :(.

Any thoughts?

2. Brickush

Brickush

Is this happening on an Android device? If so, it might help to remove Auto Graphics API checkbox from the Player settings for Android and manually enter OpenGLES2 and OpenGLES3 in the API list.

3. docjaq-reach

docjaq-reach

No, happening in the editor. Running OSX 10.10.5. The editor locks up completely seemingly when interacting with its UI.

4. TimGS

TimGS

What does editor log say?

5. docjaq-reach

docjaq-reach

Yeah. A super-useful:
    I have found a temporary fix of turning Graphics Emulation to No Emulation. Not really a permanent solution though.

6. Andrey-Postelzhuk

Andrey-Postelzhuk

I have the same issue when targeting iOS. 'No Emulation' fixes the problem.
    I can't create the issue. 'Report bug...' doesn't work. It stops on 'packing the report'.

7. rajiv-chavali

rajiv-chavali

So i was facing a similar issue, 2 out of 7 scenes in my game were crashing in the editor when i play them.
    After a long search i have found a forum saying disabling the canvas was solving this issue.
    So i compared the canvas from all the scenes and noticed that the two scenes that are crashing are having the "plane distance" parameter set to "10" and rest all scenes are having "100".
    So i tried setting those both scene's plane distance to "100".
    Miraculously, its working fine now.
    This issue happened when i upgraded my project to Unity 5x.
    Can anyone else also try it and confirm ?
    Thanks in advance :)

8. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Can you please file a bug and attach a project we can use to reproduce the issue?

9. uakayCS

uakayCS

Hey,

We're having the same issue. We delayed the transition to 5.3 because of this issue.

I am currently on 5.3.1p1 and the game hangs in the Editor while loading assets with detail albedo or detail normal maps. This issue was also present on 5.3.0f4. It's only happening in iOS and Android.

The log output is:

Warning: Shader 'Standard (Specular setup)' exceeds the number of texture image units, marking as unsupported.
    Receiving unhandled NULL exception
    Launching bug reporter
    Obtained 8 stack frames.

So it looks like there is a limit to the number of textures per material in the graphics emulation mode. This limit wasn't there on 5.2.

This happens in all shaders, both built-in and user written.

The temporary fix is to disable the graphics emulation but I think this bug might be hiding other issues related to the emulation mode.

Has this bug been reported/received or should I re-report it? Even though there is a work around (disabling the emulator), working without a mobile graphics emulator doesn't give the visual results we desire.

Thanks

10. Gizmmoo

Gizmmoo

I had the same exact problem as described here. I also was using Google Cardboard SDK in my project, using mac osx for building. I didn't have this problem on my windows bootcamp side, only when I went to OSX. The error would just freeze my unity until I force quit. Turning off graphics emulation fixed the problem. Is there a link to an issue for this bug, or has one not been filed yet? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Could this be related to the new OpenGL backend?

Anyway, a bug report would be helpful.

12. mark-ziemer

mark-ziemer

Unfortunately, even though is says launching bug reporter, the bug reporter never appears.

Suggestions on how to submit this?

I've having this trouble retargeting to IOS.

13. mark-ziemer

mark-ziemer

Never mind. The next patch seems to fix it. 5.3.2p1. Thx!

Yury-Habets likes this.