Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor-Crash 100% reproducible but in big project. (5.4.0b10)

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Immanuel-Scholz, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

Hi,

I've got a strange crash in the editor of our 14GB project. Already reported a bug under 780822 with a crash dump attached. (No Mono-function involved, but we heavily fiddle around with the render queue and compute buffers and multiple cameras and whatnot)

But before I start cutting the project down and try to get a smaller repro case, can anyone at Unity look whether the crash dump has already been reported before? Cutting down our project isn't the most interesting work I would like to do the next days... ;)

The stack trace looks like this:

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

0x00007FFA20F52D46 (d3d11) CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface
    0x000000014146BAFA (Unity) GetActiveRenderTargetCountD3D11
    0x000000014146BE82 (Unity) RebindActiveRenderTargets
    0x00000001414622F4 (Unity) GfxDeviceD3D11Base::SetRenderTargets
    0x000000014148A91D (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunCommand
    0x000000014148FBEF (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::Run
    0x00000001414879FD (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunGfxDeviceWorker
    0x0000000140589FA8 (Unity) Thread::RunThreadWrapper
    0x00007FFA263C8102 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

2. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Sorry, don't see anything else with that function that's open in our bugs database other than your bug.
    Check any other plugins first?

But also having QA see what they might repro.

3. HelpMe_Please

HelpMe_Please

i have the same problem! Editor works fine, but after i build it crashes almost every time. The exact same Project worked perfectly on 5.3
    It is still not fixed in 5.4.b11

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

The Issue just has been closed by Aurimas with the following text:

"Hi again,

This is a friendly reminder, that you have not replied to this case for some time, so it will be closed.If you have any more information about this issue, you can reply and case will be reopened."

Well, I am quite irritated about this answer. Does the support gets paid by closed tickets or why would they just ignore a crash bug report on a beta version?

Anyway, after this answer, if Unity is still interested in me helping them to get their beta software better, we can arrange a consulting contract for an adequate hourly payment. :(

5. HelpMe_Please

HelpMe_Please

I have the exact same problem. I dont know what to do
    My game worked fine in 5.3, but crashes now everytime in 5.4. Editor works fine tho,
    also, when making a new Scene it doesnt Crash, seems like to just crashes when Rendering many objects. Have you tried disabling the occlusion culling?

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Well, code inspection and attempts to repro have failed, so without further information we're stuck trying to analyze it any further. There's always the hope that someone else produces the same crash and has a simple repro to hand us.

You did ask if any others have seen it before trying to cut down your project. With our answer thus far being "no", we're basically waiting for assistance from you to have a chance to solve this. As noted from the message, once you reply with additional info, the bug will re-open.

7. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

Thanks for the clarification, Alex. (Are you Aurimas?).

Actually, my main quarrel with the reply to the issue was the overall tone. I think that Unity does not treat voluntary beta testers good enough for me to make me continue working on better bug reports.

Most of my bug reports are not a problem for us. They are a help for Unity. We already hacked around most of the stuff internally. Actually, I am probably the last one from my team bothering reporting bugs to you - most other coders do the "oh my naive little fellow" - smile to me when I suggest reporting some issue after we isolated it. If you are a coder, you probably know that "isolating a crash in a small repro" usually takes way longer than just hacking around it (and most of the time, the insight how to hack around it comes about 1/3th the way to good isolation). And the latter helps us get our job done. That is especially true for editor crashes (i.e. not deployed game-relevant bugs so no risk of deliver a buggy game).

Unity seems to be under the impression that they doing us a big favor by releasing beta versions and asking for bug reports. That has to change big times.

Anyway, about the actual problem: it mysteriously does not occur anymore on our latest code base (with the same Unity version - so its not fixed, just not triggered anymore). So I am not going to bisect our code and track it down anymore. I am not aware of any change in 3rd party libraries or any c++ dll's. My offer in the bug report still stands though: If you want GIT access to our code to hunt things down, contact me. (In this case I would have a couple more crash scenarios that are reproducible in our code but too cumbersome to pin down and they don't really affect us a lot so I have even less incentive to file an bug report)

@HelpMe_Please: If its not in the Editor, I don't think your crashes are related. Except if your stack trace looks very similar. Anyway, if your game isn't too big to upload, you can just open a new bug report and upload the whole project, referring to this website and also to issue 780822)

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If stripping down a project is not an option or it doesn't reproduce when you do it, you can always submit your full project. It will take us longer to investigate, but it's still better than us not being able to reproduce, as in the latter case we have no hope of fixing it.

I'm sorry about your experiences and frustrations on reporting bugs to us. I agree that the communication was subpar from our side.

9. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

No, from looking at the bug report as to who that is, Aurimas is in our QA department.

Noted, and I'll pass that on. The one thing I'd like to offer though: as a pretty international company, english isn't the primary language of a lot of the folk. So, tone might be shifted due to both translation wise and cultural wise. Something for us to improve though!

We are heavily aware that releasing beta releases are more for collaborative help in making sure Unity hasn't introduced new issues and to minimize impact to not just the bug reporter but other users. Even with all our automation testing (which we're constantly adding to), we won't catch all the ways all our developers exercise our stuff. Additionally, all the black box QA testing we could add also wouldn't be enough. So, releasing the beta is more acknowledgement of that, as much as many other large extremely flexible software (I'd cite Microsoft Windows and their long beta/RC cycle)

The "small" repro is always preferred, but not required. A repro always increases the odds of getting the actual problem addressed vs. something that looks similar from our inspections or otherwise. Project access works as well (and mentioned below)

We're happy to take git access as a mechanism to repro (granted I'd assume you'd specify a changeset as well?) That's more than welcome to submit into our bug tracking (obviously, make sure to keep your bug marked private).