Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Editor Console Improvements, double-click message functionality

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just read on your 2019.1 blog-post:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/01/31/unity-2019-1-beta-is-now-available/

I have a related question. We discussed having the ability to exclude methods from the stacktrace in June 2015 on the Unity beta group:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/unity-beta-testing/q9kQKJKTcpo

@superpig had the idea to decorate a method with a [NotInterestingInCallstack] like attribute, such as:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [NotInterestingInCallstack]
    2. static void MyCustomLog(string message)
    3. {
    4.     Debug.Log(message);
    5. }
    The idea is if I double-click a message in the Console window that was generated by "MyCustomLog", Unity would not open "MyCustomLog", but the file/location that calls it.

I would like to know if this is still something you consider to provide? Having the ability to click the file in the debug message is nice, but it would be much faster to just double-click the message itself to get to the caller code.

I know that there are workarounds for this, such as storing the "MyCustomLog" code in a DLL for example. But having an attribute (or whatever) for that would be way more convenient.

Related feedback item:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/sugges...lick-jump-to-the-file-slash-line-i-want-it-to

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    plmx, Nefahl, Xarbrough and 10 others like this.
  2. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

No this was not considered but I'm taking note of the suggestion, it would be very convenient.

Thanks for the feedback!

twobob, Xarbrough, Grizmu and 6 others like this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you!

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Any news regarding this?

5. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly I don't have an ETA to share.

6. Whitepot

Whitepot

Hey there, would also be interested in this functionality for Unity and Visual Studio on Mac.

7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

This sounds really helpful! I would use it for my validation system which inspects all GameObjects and logs an error if anything fails a test. Double-clicking the log statement in the console, however, opens the source code line, where Debug.Log is called, which is nested deeply into my system and not helpful. Instead, I would want a double-click to open the source code line where the error actually originated, not where it was logged. I believe the proposed attribute would work for this.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Peter77 likes this.
  8. DrummerB

DrummerB

I'm also interested in this. I posted a similar request a while ago here, but I think Peter77's suggestion is better.

I would probably call the attribute [HideInStackTrace] or [HideInConsole] to be more consistent with [HideInInspector].

amatiasq and Peter77 like this.