Search Unity

Editor Can't Able to Import 3D Model Textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by siddharth3322, Dec 25, 2019.

1. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I have imported 3d model after exported from 3DSMax but it can't able to load or import textures in the 3d model.

The 3D model is properly displaying in Windows 3D Viewer, here you have an image example:

Cart in 3D viewer.PNG

This kind of import settings currently I have done for this model:

cart_textures_issue.png

As you see in the above image, the imported 3d model has only a gray color look while I have made it colorful using textures but no images get imported with the 3d model.

So please share your opinion about this problem I was facing so it can import all textures.

2. julian_cruz

julian_cruz

Unity Technologies

Hello @siddharth3322 can you verify if you're importing the materials an textures you're using in 3DMax?
    I cannot see them in the Project View panel in your screenshot.
    Take a look at my screenshot below in which there are textures and a folder with the materials from 3DMax.
    When I load all of them in Unity the car has all the references needed and it looks as expected.
    projectview.png

3. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

No, it didn't exist in the project panel when I open a broad view and here you have a screenshot after I expand the 3d model:

model_import_unity.png

Also one thing, you forgot to notice in my first message, I have opened the same 3d model in Windows 10 3D Viewer
    software that has nothing related to 3DS Max modeling software. So definitely textures exist within 3d model.

Now I will wait for your side next reply to get texture attached with my 3d model.
    The same thing is happening with my all 3d models if you want then I can send this unity project to you.

4. julian_cruz

julian_cruz

Unity Technologies

Hello @siddharth3322, yes it would be great if you can share a small project with one of the assets having the problem.
    I'll be attentive to your reply.

5. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I have sent you a demo project in a personal message so please check it.
    (I don't want to share my assets openly at here so I have done personal message)

6. julian_cruz

julian_cruz

Unity Technologies

@siddharth3322, you need to extract the textures in order to have them imported in Unity.
    Once you do that you will see the Mesh well drawn.
    The textures need to be imported because some GPU cannot support some image formats so Unity needs to handle it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 11.38.45.png

Please let me know if you need any further help.

siddharth3322 likes this.
  7. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Yes I need a little bit of more information

1. Shall I require to use Extract Textures and Extract Materials both? Otherwise Materials you can't able to edit.
    2. Why do I require to do this process? That I can't able to understand. Whichever 3d models I have designed my own those have only this kind of problem. If I import from AssetStore then I don't have this kind of problem.
    3. With FBX file packed images are PNG files so why Unity doesn't support by default?

Just provide me a little bit more depth into this so I can sort out my problem.
    Because I am new in 3d model designing through 3DS Max software.

8. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

@julian_cruz can you reply to my above questions?
    Because these replies become really useful to solve a problem from my side.