Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Editor becomes unstable after infinite loop crash

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by enhawk, May 21, 2021.

1. enhawk

enhawk

Hi, if you lock up the editor with an infinite loop (while etc), restarting the editor, theres a problem with playback where the editor injects 60~80 millisecond pauses when using while loops.

The only fix is to reboot the computer entirely.

MAC OSX Big Sur
    Unity 2019 LTS

Anyone else noticed this?

2. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

What do you mean by the editor "injecting" pauses?

Have you used the profiler to see what is going on?

enhawk likes this.
  3. enhawk

enhawk

Sure yes, this how I was able to see the length of the pauses. They are compacted into a long block called "player loop". This only happens after reopening Unity after a crash, if I reboot my pc the long pauses are gone.

4. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Switch to deep profiling and drill deeper.

Are you sure it is the while loop itself that is causing pauses? I doubt it. This is a pretty basic C#/Mono construct, not exactly a Unity thing. Try surrounding your suspicious while loop with ProfileMarkers to see if the pause is really happening there. https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Unity.Profiling.ProfilerMarker.html

enhawk likes this.
  5. enhawk

enhawk

Thanks I'll try deep profiling. Looking for a way to submit a cohesive bug report, however it's 2019 LTS and not sure if editor issues will be fixed anyway... Would be interesting to see if this is happening in 2020 LTS