Search Unity

Bug Editor becomes unresponsive when tool tip is shown

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by VeryGoodDog, Jan 5, 2021.

1. VeryGoodDog

VeryGoodDog

When I hover over something that shows a tool tip, for example most things in the inspector, there is a massive lag spike, and an error is thrown in the console:
    Code (text):
    1. X server took longer than 21322 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.
    2. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show(String, Rect, GUIView)
    I'm running the following system:
    Code (text):
    1. Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64
    2. Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7
    3. wm: muffin
    4. Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
    5. base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
    I looked in these forums, and other sources and I couldn't find any solutions.

ldh_ and takanaryota like this.
  2. GiMiTiUs

GiMiTiUs

I've had same error messages for few days also but for me they aren't as bad, usually only about 2000 milliseconds.
    With a little research i found out that the bug has existed since version 2020.1.13f1. Unity has resently started to work on how to make unity's windowing more reliable on Linux which obviously isn't finished yet. I currently use version 2020.1.15f1 so not fixed yet.
    Check this post and this post for more info. Not sure if the bug is already fixed in later versions since the bug arent that bad for me so i am not upgrading to another version yet.
    I suggest you to use the bug report, "Help->Report a Bug" so they can see your editor.log, more reports = faster fix.

CrandellWS likes this.
  3. Sneirox

Sneirox

this bug also in 2019.4 .

4. zoltanbalazsacademic

zoltanbalazsacademic

I am also experiencing the same staggering effect, when a tooltip is about to show.

I am running

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    Unity 19.4.20f1

On an AMD Radeon Vega 8 gpu (is that helps)
    xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu is version 19.1.0-1.

X server took longer than 3012 milliseconds to respond to SetGtkWindowSizeAndPosition.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    StickGrinder likes this.
  5. SilverDawn

SilverDawn

This is a bug thats been around quite some time now.
    THERE IS NO FIX.

Can confirm the same effect in fedora 33 (wayland AND X)
    Kernel 5.10.19
    Mesa 20.3 (RX 5800XT)

It gets even worse, if you are using wayland.
    You can get Unity to Crash just by rearranging your Windows inside Unity.
    Imho, Unity is simply not usable in Linux at the moment,
    especially since there seems to be no effort to fix these kinds of bugs which have been around over 2 years now.

If you really want to do game programming in linux you prob should use another engine like LWJGL or JMonkey.

6. MostCommonName

MostCommonName

This Linux Editor bug (num. 1309607) is now considered fixed starting from 2019.04.X series and upwards, as stated in the release log for version 2019.04.24f1, under FIXES section:

Linux: Converted "X11 did not respond within x milliseconds" error to a logged warning. (1309607)

I've done some test on my end, on a Lubuntu 18.04.05 LTS O.S. with kernel 5.4.0-71, XServer, Mesa drivers (v20.3.5), using an integrated Intel HD3000 graphic card, and I can confirm that Editor, v2019.04.24f1, is finally more responsive and, most importantly, all of those exceptions not only are gone but there isn't any warning reported either whenever mouse pointer's hovering any element with a popup-info reaction on hover.
    However, again in my case, popup info doesn't appear immediately (as it should) as soon as pointer enters a responsive area of buttons, labels etc..., but only after pointer is moved just a little on those responsive area.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021