Search Unity

[Editor Assets] Once per seat, how is this enforced?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MeekoSoup, Jan 24, 2020.

1. MeekoSoup

MeekoSoup

I have tried contacting Unity directly, but have yet to receive any response to this. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with Unity enforcing the "One per seat" policy in terms of editor extensions, and how it is enforced.

I understand why such a policy exist, I just don't think it makes enough sense. If everyone is working on the same project, and one person buys an editor extension and includes it with the project, then everyone has access to that extension. It can only be updated by the purchaser, but besides that it's completely shareable.

Unity may look at each person's account when investigating the yearly revenue of a game developed by a group of people and may claim that we didn't buy enough copies of the asset, but a team could go through many members before finishing the project, and the team could also claim that the only person who made real use of the editor extension was the purchaser.

I feel like this is a very difficult thing to enforce, and I am wondering what the process is, or if there are any legal ways around it (like written permission from the asset creator).

Mykael-BC likes this.