Search Unity

Editor and Preview run slower after computer upgrade

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nsfnotthrowingaway, Mar 2, 2016.

1. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

Hello. I'm having an issue with the editor being laggy in Unity as well as the preview, when it was running fine on a slower machine.

If I go to change the camera angle in the scene or pan the camera, there is an irrating half second to second delay. If I rename an object in the hierarchy, there is lag between my keystrokes and the characters appearing. When I run previews that ran fine before, there is often a delay when performing input actions. The game will be running super smooth, but when I press a key to move or change camera, there is again a half second to second delay. This also happens upon hovering over in game menus that have a mouseover effect and such.

I kept the same graphics card (geforce 980ti), but upgraded my CPU from an Athlon X4 3.4ghz to a Core i7 6700k, upgraded my ram from 8 gigs of ddr3, to 32 gigs of ddr4, and now Unity itself is installed on an M.2 ssd where before it was installed on a 7200rpm drive. This is also now running on a fresh install of Windows 10 (it was also Win10 before), with all motherboard, CPU drivers, and graphics card drivers up to date.

I've seen other threads that advise to -force -d3d11(doesn't help), -force -d3d9(editor faster, no VR), or -force -opengl(editor faster, no VR). This seems to fix the editor slowness from my initial tests, but when I use those and run any projects, VR is no longer works(doesn't turn the dk2 screens on at all). Aside from needing VR to work on and test the projects, it's difficult to tell if the preview lag is gone or not, as the lag in VR is very easy to perceive even if it's not so easy on a regular screen.

Again, these are projects that were working fine on the slower machine in VR. It's not an option to replace previewing obviously, but in case it helps troubleshooting, fully building the project results in a non laggy exe.

2. Player7

Player7

3. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

thanks @Player7 , unfortunately, the solution there doesn't help in my case though, not in the editor or in the running preview.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

Figured out a bit more.
    Forcing either directx10 or dx11 has the problem, but not forcing dx9, dx12, or opengl. (though like dx9 and opengl, when in dx12, it still won't let me use VR)

Also, it's not just navigational changes that cause the slow down, I can see the editor redrawing every window and gizmo (drawing it in gray first, and then the red color I have for preview mode), every time I press any key in the previewing game, even if the key has no function. Also the editor has an ugly effect on the text at times, like it drew the text twice right next to eachother. I've attached an image. The top one is before I click on a tab, the bottom two are two examples of how it's drawing it after clicking 'scene'. You can see in the middle one, I captured it before it finished redrawing the selected 'scene' tab, which takes about two seconds.

Attached Files:

5. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

What version of Unity are you using?

6. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

@longroadhwy 5.3.3f1 (64-bit)
    Edit: Just tried 5.4.0b9 (64-bit), same issue.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  7. RzRenata

RzRenata

it's same for me, I just build my PC , I'm using GPU GTX 970 , i7-6700K, and the editor is laggy.

at first i tried 5.3 then i notice it's laggy, then tried 5.2.2.f1 still same..and yes when i use unity in dx9 it got better.

my laptop with just GT 650M can use unity3D 5.2.2f1(dx11) with no problem.

8. tinto

tinto

Same problem here. Exact same setup as nsfnotthrowingaway, except in my case it's a GTX 970. Everything else the exact same - and suffering from the same issue. Editor is unusable with d3d11, but that's the only one that will work with VR.

9. Flurgle

Flurgle

10. Flurgle

Flurgle

*Edit* This doesn't really work in all situations... the open GL workaround is still the smoothest :( It might have to do with deferred / forward and color space, no idea.

Sorry to spam / bump this again. I just looked into the issue more, and Unity provides the following flag:
    -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

This seems to solve the problem for me even better.

You have to append it to your windows shortcut, like such (after the quotes):
    "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    nsfnotthrowingaway likes this.
  11. Flurgle

Flurgle

BUMP

Removed my graphics drivers (had some old ones). Reinstalled Nvidia. When I turn on my comptuer, i remove any graphics programs (EVGA Precision, nvidia experience), and anything else, like printer / camera things.

Unity works fine after that.