Search Unity

Bug Editor All Messed up When using Windows Project on Mac

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JudahMantell, Nov 12, 2021.

1. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hey there!
    So I've been developing on Windows for a long time, and I want to try making a Mac version.
    I am using GitHub Desktop to access the project on both computers, but when I open the project in the same editor version on my Mac (2021.1.28), the editor UI becomes completely messed up and unusable.
    This started in 2021.1.27, and I thought would be fixed when updating to 28, but no luck. I've tried restarting the editor and all that.
    Any ideas? I'm using an M1 Macbook Air.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

No, I had no idea that's a thing! Awesome, I'll give that a try. Do you know if I will have any issues sending my project back and forth between this and a regular windows editor?
    Thanks!

4. Mauri

Mauri

I don't think there should be any. (Though, due to the lack of me owning a Mac, I can't say for certain). I do would suggest to create a) a backup of your project and b) a separate copy of your project that's solely for testing in the Apple Silicon Editor.

JudahMantell likes this.
  5. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Just want to follow up here and say that because of a Unity bug with Google's firebase, 2021.2 crashes on startup, so I can't use that version or the Apple Silicon version. So I'm stuck in 2021.1.28.
    That editor runs 100% fine on my mac with a different project that was transferred back and forth with Github. But for some reason, this one specifically (my main project) breaks the Mac editor.
    It's driving me crazy and I have no idea what it could be. I removed all Windows-specific plugins and code, and still no luck.

6. BigZaphod

BigZaphod

Does your main project contain any mp4 files? The current Apple Silicon build in the tech stream crashes if you have any mp4 files in your project - so that might be something to look for. (Hoping that's fixed soon because I'd LOVE to make the jump the native Apple Silicon version - it is *so* much faster than running under Rosetta.)

7. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

The 2021.2 crashing is due to a known bug when using Google Services (I'm using Firebase), that's why I'm using 2021.1.28-- so the Apple Silicon version isn't usable anyway for me :(
    I really think that my issue is either that there's something stopping the app from running properly on Mac (it 100% *should* run totally fine) when I build from Windows, or that the editor won't load properly with this one specific project on my Macbook.

I'll check for MP4 files though, thanks for the heads up!