Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Editing Terrain in the Prefab Editor - disappearing trees - bug or my mistake?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by pitchblende, Jan 3, 2021.

1. pitchblende

pitchblende

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm using Unity 2018.4 at the moment.

I have a terrain inside a Prefab, an instance of which I have in my scene at the root level. My terrain has some trees (via Mass Trees) scattered around.

If I open the Prefab in the Prefab Editor, my terrain and trees are visible. But if I click anything, all the trees within a large radius instantly disappear, and those beyond turn into black silhouettes. The closer trees are still in the terrain, they just aren't visible in the editor. This makes it almost impossible to edit trees (via Terrain Tools) in the Prefab Editor unless I zoom right out so they are all black (tiny) silhouettes, but then they are almost impossible to click accurately.

Here's a video showing this behaviour (sorry, it's not a full screen capture, but I was in the Prefab Editor at the time):

I can successfully edit the trees from the Scene Editor as if I was overriding the Prefab instance (which oddly doesn't seem to result in any overrides - where are the Mass Trees stored?), so this seems to only be an issue with having the terrain inside a prefab and editing the prefab.

Note that I am not changing the Terrain Settings > Draw Trees (enabled) or Tree Distance (5000). I know about those.