Search Unity

Editing Multiple Prefabs

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by TylerCode_, Dec 30, 2018.

1. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

So I read this.

[B]Can we get back the ability to edit Prefabs directly in the Project Browser?[/B]
    No, this is not viable. Some technical changes were needed in the Prefabs back-end in order to be able to robustly support nesting. These changes mean that Prefabs are technically imported assets, and this in turn means that they can’t be edited directly. Prefab Mode is the new way to edit Prefab Assets. Compared to the old workflow of editing directly in the Project Browser, Prefab Mode lets you edit objects at any depth, and lets you visually see what you’re doing in the Scene View too.

Does this mean we can't edit multiple prefabs anymore? That's a decent hit on my workflow if that's the case. When working with archives of assets I've built up over the years, it's nice to be able to select and edit a few things. For example, I imported some things today and all the prefabs have the game object disabled. It's hundreds so going through every single one isn't really an option.

Just want to know, I can use 2018.2 or 2017 LTS to do things like that going forward, just a pain sometimes.

2. runevision

runevision

There's a hit on workflows for multi-editing yes. As a sort of workaround while we investigate if there's better options, is that you can instantiate all those Prefabs into the scene, multi-edit those and apply them all at once (a new ability added in 2018.3). Not as elegant, but for now at least beats editing them one at a time.

3. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

Thanks for this man, I love the features of 2018.3 but that's been absolutely killing me. I swapped back but that workaround should get me going.

4. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

5. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

@TJHeuvel-net

You are a legend my friend. Thanks! I was using the workaround by @runevision but obviously this is preferable!

Thanks everyone!

TJHeuvel-net likes this.