Search Unity

Edit scripts directly in the editor

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by housewarmer, Aug 9, 2008.

1. housewarmer

housewarmer

I'd love to see the ability to edit scripts without having to switch to an external app. Syntax highlighting would be nice, but even being able to edit in the format scripts are currently displayed could be a big time saver, especially for making small tweaks to code.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I would be inclined to doubt that this will ever happen, any more than Unity will ever get built-in 3D modeling. Namely, the job is already handled adequately by external apps, so there's no need to spend dev time on that when it could be better spent on Unity itself. I'm not sure how it would save any time...as it is now, double-click a script in Unity and you're editing it instantly.

--Eric

3. Jessy

Jessy

I always run the script editor on another screen or Space anyway, so this would be worse than useless to me, given the current inability to open more than one Unity window.

4. housewarmer

housewarmer

I dunno - I spend plenty of time flipping back and forth. Just being able to make small edits in the inspector doesn't seem like too much work (but then I don't really know).

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

One could make a sort of text editor within Unity using the new 2.1 editor functionality.

6. housewarmer

housewarmer

Based upon what I understand, it looks like that would require creating a window - which kinda defeats the purpose. Is it possible to customize either the inspector itself or to create a custom panel?