Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Edit > Project Settings > Editor > Joystick Source (Remote || Local) --- Local Keyboard Issue

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Fronne, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Fronne

Fronne

Joystic Source.jpg

In Unity 5.4.0.b24 my (local) Keyboard didn't work anymore, in b23 and before everything works fine...

You might think why do you need a Keyboard for mobile Development but using a Keyboard can save you so much time in the Development Process. I use the Keyboard to trigger some Events like swapping some GameObjects, changing the speed, even a window pop-up. I was pleased when 5.4.0.b25 came out because I tought everything should work fine again but it didn't...

After a few hours trying to find documentation for this Issue and looking for a new switch, I found a new setting in the Editor Settings named Joystick Source, the default setting was Remote. When I switched this setting to Local my Keyboard was working like a charme again. In the b24 documentation there is (at the moment) no documentation for this setting.
    Perhaps it's a good idea to introduce a new Keyboard setting for Unity Remote named "Use Keyboard" with an option for None || Local with the default setting Local to solve this issue.

I created this thread because other Developers might have the same Issue...

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. inkredibl

inkredibl

Unity Technologies

Hey there,
    Could you please describe your setup in a bit more detail? What platform you are using Unity on, what platform runs UnityRemote, what kind of connection do you use for your keyboard and what kind of keyboard it is. Thanks for letting us know!

3. Fronne

Fronne

Hi,

Just to be clear, the Issue appears only at runtime with a remote plugged in, the Keyboard works perfect without the remote plugged in. The remote device is an iPhone 5S, my Keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000, Win 10 Pro,
    i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12 GB memory, iOS and Android Components installed, Unity Plus...

Cheers!